BigBoss Releases Semitethered Jailbreak for iOS 5

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by srf4real, Oct 23, 2011.

1. complexcommunic macrumors regular

Cool... it's good to know that at least someone's still working on making new jailbreaks. With all the big JB names getting snatched up (hired) by Apple, I worry that it could be dead in the water. I hope we can get some news on the iPhone 4s and/or iPad 2 soon.

2. sheppy1 macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

Oooooo seems pretty good! Shame I rely on ultrasn0w for my unlock so I'm still going to have to wait for a fully untethered jailbreak

3. srf4real thread starter macrumors 68030

srf4real

It has been working for me so far. Nice to know that I'm not totally *effed if my phone shuts down while I'm away from home.:D

4. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Comex said he had an internship. That's 1 guy. Hardly all. Was there someone else??

This new development just confused the h out of lots of newbs. Stand by the flood gates of new threads. I've read a few reports people can no longer sync with itunes with this tweak.

5. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

Is anyone doing this semi tethered instead of waiting for untethered JB?

6. vtmikevt macrumors regular

after installing, the first time i tried to "just boot" with redsn0w, it hung up...

i restarted and it did its semi-tethered boot (all the cydia tweaks were off)...

i then re-ran redsn0w to "just boot" and it looks like it still booted into this semi-tethered state. When i open cydia, it just restarted springboard which seemed to fix everything.

So my guess is that it works like this:

1. when you lose power or reboot, even if you "just boot" with redsn0w, the initial startup will be semi-tethered (no JB extensions work).

2. trying to open cydia or any JB app will restart springboard and you'll be good to go.

At least this was my experience.

7. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

care to comment on stability + battery life post this specific jailbreak (once you have time to play w/ it a bit)

8. vtmikevt macrumors regular

Only about 2 hours using it and no issues found so far...I rarely let my phone die so this is hopefully just as advertised (something to save you if you're on the road and the phone crashes).

9. dgstan macrumors 6502a

So one would simply install this on top of their current tethered redsn0w JB? No need to restore or wipe and start over?

10. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

Just as long as this prevents my phone from becoming a brick while on the road then jb ios5 here I come.

11. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

im already tethered so just install this, and boot tethered after the reboot?

12. SFC Archer, Oct 23, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2011

SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Caution Advised

I have not been able to get this to work on my iPhone 4, iOS 5. This does not mean it will not work on others so I am just advising caution. My conflict arises with activation of SBsettings. My iPhone goes into permanent respring when activation of SBSettings and I am forced to reboot to kick it out. I am also finding that half of my folders and some icons are missing/invisible.

Am uninstalling until it is a little more stable.

UPDATE: Once you install it, you can not remove/recover from it. A complete restore of the iPhone is required to clean it all out. I have got it working after reinstalling it but do not feel comfortable at this point.

13. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I'll probably still wait for the totally untethered JB but it's still sweet to know that progress is being made. :) Thanks for the reports, those who've tested it out!

14. JunkyDog macrumors 6502

15. johndallas999, Oct 23, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2011

johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

what is the full repo name? I'm not finding this on cydia.
    EDIT: nevermind found it!

16. JunkyDog macrumors 6502

17. TC25 macrumors 68020

If only you had found this thread before posting. Try reporting your other thread to the mods and ask them to merge them.

18. JunkyDog macrumors 6502

i posted my thread first long time ago, and this thread pops up about long time after my post, but i dont care, its not my problem...:confused:

19. TC25 macrumors 68020

This thread started at 4:51 am today.
    You started yours at 8:31 am today.
    In this universe, this thread came first.

20. JunkyDog macrumors 6502

Like i said, i dont CARE, so it is NOT my problem.. so give it up dude...:confused:

21. TC25 macrumors 68020

Caught showing you can't tell time and you claim you don't CARE. Perhaps you could find another thread to duplicate by copying content from another site.

22. srf4real thread starter macrumors 68030

srf4real

I jb'ed my iPhone 4 to iOS 5 about 3 am when I couldn't sleep (EST); lo and behold right when I was successful with redsn0w I find this tweet about the semi-tethering process and did this immediately as well. Been messing with the phone all day, trying out old favorite tweaks.. some work and some don't but hopefully will be updated soon. Other than getting icon tweaks to show which seems impossible so far I've had no bad effects. Dozen or so re-springs to activate hacks.. three "just boot" in redsn0w.. I intentionally powered off the phone three times and rebooted from the power button untethered; the phone turns on in safe mode and Cydia/ other tweaks are disabled. Makes calls and texts fine, location services work ok. But must do the redsn0w tethered "just boot" to get back to full functionality. I say good job and thank you to BigBoss. :)

23. BlizzardBolt macrumors 6502

This thread was started first, therefore it should not be merged with your thread.
    Your thread should be deleted to maintain organization in this forum.

What do you not understand?

24. JunkyDog macrumors 6502

I can say it again. I DONT CARE, ITS NOT MY F*CKIN PROBLEM. GOT IT!!!