Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superspud

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
just as the title says.. if i upgrade to say, a 250gb 7200rpm from hitachi, will it lower my battery life?

also, how about heat? my mb gets mighty hot as is, would a bigger drive create more?

i know the hd topic has been covered before but i would like to get a straight answer

thanks guys

ccwilli3

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2007
do they even make a 250Gb 7200rpm drive?

Depending on what is in your MB now, a larger 5400rpm drive may actually use less power and put off less heat than what you presently have.

A 7200rpm drive will put off more heat and use more power than an equivalent 5400rpm drive of the same size and manufacturer, whether you'll notice it or not is disputable...

superspud

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
do they even make a 250Gb 7200rpm drive?

Depending on what is in your MB now, a larger 5400rpm drive may actually use less power and put off less heat than what you presently have.

A 7200rpm drive will put off more heat and use more power than an equivalent 5400rpm drive of the same size and manufacturer, whether you'll notice it or not is disputable...

maybe its 200gigs, either way larger and faster than what i currently have.

ccwilli3

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2007
maybe its 200gigs, either way larger and faster than what i currently have.

what HDD do you have now? You can go on their website and get power specs from them and compare it to the new drive you want, if it consumes more power, it's going to put off more heat. That should be a good indicator and where I would start. Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.