Bigger Fiasco: Apple Maps or Apple Watch Release

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Batman89, May 5, 2015.

1. Batman89 macrumors 6502

I still think Forstall was treated unfairly, even though I love iOS 7.

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

The obstacles in the Apple watch release were related to production issues. Maps was all software so I'm not sure how you can compare the two.

3. bluecow macrumors regular

Apple Maps by a long shot. The product was a disaster when it was released, riddled with major errors that heavily impacted adoption.

With that said, based on what I read, Forstall wasn't fired for the bad product, he was fired for being a complete ass and not admitting the flaws that all other executives were willing to admit to.

I still avoid apple maps like the plague because of the horrid product at launch...although from what I've seen and heard, it is much improved now.

4. bashmagic macrumors regular

Apple Watch launch, by an order of magnitude.

At least people could use Apple Maps when it launched.

5. whatos macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't call fiasco on either. Apple has a reason for everything no matter how unconventional. Applying common sense and logic will only frustrate you. Apple is so strong financially that they're nearly untouchable. The only people that are impacted are customers, another resource Apple has in great excess.

6. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

Maps was a fiasco. I tried it once right after it came out and it totally missed. That was a product that was not at all ready for release and took many months to fix.

Watches are shipping daily and they generally work just fine and as expected. Having an extremely succeesful initial sale on a brand new product isn't a fiasco.

7. GLS macrumors 6502

8. Joe1602 macrumors regular

Watch by a mile. Maps has always worked well for me.

9. bashmagic macrumors regular

The Watch is looking more and more like a product that was not at all ready for release, given the issues with parts, planning and logistics.

Having an extremely poorly planned launch of a product that angers and alienates your customer base and damages your brand as a competent organization is a fiasco.

With Maps, one part of Apple dropped the ball. With the Watch launch, multiple parts of Apple took completely screwing up to a brand new level. And no one within Apple seems to have the guts to admit it.

At least someone got canned for Maps.

10. cpzahner macrumors member

Maps.. Apple said from the start supply was low for the Apple Watch. Some people didn't understand that and are upset that the launch didn't go in their favor.

11. Dhonk macrumors member

Both have gone fine. Not sure why people freak out. Apple has been overwhelmed by demand for certain models of the Apple Watch. It's an entirely new product line.

I enjoyed Apple Maps as it added certain features I wanted, such as the turn-by-turn navigation. It's much safer. Yes, I had one time where it gave me the wrong location (one golf course was marked with 6 different pins on the map, and none were the parking lot and clubhouse). But I was patient as it used less data than Google Maps, had a feature I liked, and I remember how mapquest and google maps had a lot of locations mis-marked when they first came out. Apple's mistake was those fly-bys, but I never heard of anyone using them anyways.

12. BillyTrimble macrumors 6502a

Wow. Very interesting. And all this time I thought I was actually using my Apple Watch. How could I be so stupid?

What I don't understand is why all of you that hate the watch and don't want it are spending your time here. Why are you wasting your time here? Are you trying to convince me that I should hate my watch?

I understand my watch and love it. You don't. Fine. Just go elsewhere and find something else to complain about.

13. jigzaw macrumors 6502

The launch of Apple Maps was a disaster. To this day, "Apple Maps" is a punchline and my annoying Android friends still bug me about it. I hear it works better now, but I once tried to get to a hotel with it and it directed me to drive BY the hotel on the highway and announced "You have arrived!" as I passed it. Hahahaha. Google Maps helped me actually get to the place, and needless to say, I only use Google Maps on my iPhone now.

The Watch's scarcity is annoying, but honestly I don't know a single person who even wants one besides me (in fact, I get weird looks from my friends when I say I'm getting one when they become more available). Once the majority of orders are processed and people can start buying them in stores, these delays will be only remembered by the obsessives on this board (and I include myself in that group).

14. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

Watch was worse because maps you didn't have to wait months and it wasn't late. Maps was available for use at launch. :rolleyes:

15. mantan macrumors 68000

Kinda hard to compare. Maps were 'forced' on most users as the default app. And it replaced a Google product that worked very well. So the impact was a lot more widespread.

The scarcity of the watch has been an issue, but it's only been a problem for the early adopters.

16. sixxmum macrumors 6502a

sixxmum

It's been over a year and maps still is highly incorrect in the area around me, so.... I don't know that I would call either one a fiasco, but Maps hasn't been what I hoped. I don't have a watch yet. :)

17. texasstar1981 macrumors member

I ordered my SS 38mm BSB at 7pm CST on 4/10 (so a few hours after the launch start) and received it exactly one week after launch despite being in the 5/13-5/27 delivery estimate date... pretty happy here :)

18. BillyTrimble macrumors 6502a

You continually moan and groan about the watch being late. It wasn't late for me. If you have it, why continue to complain. If you don't have it, well that doesn't make the launch a fiasco.

The exaggeration and hysteria and silliness exhibited by many who hate the watch or are still waiting is really sad.

Please. Comparing a problematic software release with a hardware release that has had it's issues is simply absurd.

----------

19. anez macrumors 6502

anez

Maps, I think.

We all object, but I doubt the general population are going to care that some people who preordered at a minute past midnight didn't get their Watch until June. The coverage about the launch-day Maps disasters (along with the ongoing problems) seem more likely to stick in people's minds, I think.

Then again, maybe I'm biased: I still avoid using Maps where possible, as it's often wildly inaccurate in my country, but I've used my Watch all day every day since I got it.

20. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

Yes and yes. Exactly right.

The watch issue is mostly imagined in the heads of us finatics, while the real world has no idea anything is amiss (assuming they even know what watch is).

Maps was a real fiasco. It was a fairly public embarassment that required a top-level apology to all the iOS customers that were unknowingly pushed onto the new platform with the iOS update... It instantly affected millions by disrupting their existing devices.

How do you even compare that to the fact that Apple had a wider launch window than we expected? They didn't miss that window mind you… It just happened to be wider than we expected.

21. bashmagic macrumors regular

It kind of seems like you totally misunderstood the entire point of this thread. Go back and read the title - I'll give you a few minutes.

Back? Notice what it says?

Apple.... Watch.... Release

That wasn't so hard, now was it? Maybe one more time, just to get it through your head:

Apple Watch Release

I don't hate the watch at all. I hate the way it was released. Massive difference, buddy.

22. KPOM macrumors G5

Apple Maps, by far. At most the slower-than-expected Apple Watch release is causing consternation among would-be early adopters measured in thousands. All these issues will be sorted out in time for the next iPhone release and holiday season, which will be another opportunity for a major sales push. Apple Maps went out to millions of people, was pretty much a required "upgrade" given the nature of iOS, and didn't work as advertised.

23. ChinaRye macrumors 6502

ChinaRye

Apple Maps by far in my opinion. Apple forced an inferior and unfinished app on users and removed a far more useful app (Google Maps). Instead of refining the product and releasing something that could compete, they did the opposite. That left a sour taste in people's mouth that I believe to this day is still an issue. I know it's anecdotal, but most people I know, myself included, only use Google Maps on the iPhone and avoid Apple Maps like the plague because it still gives the impression, warranted or not, that it is inferior.

Issues with the Watch launch, on the other hand, will largely be forgotten once everyone who wants one has one on their wrist.

24. Mtmspa macrumors 6502a

Someone asking this question needs to get a life. I am only concerned with this I can change. Life is to short to be caught up in these silly debates.

25. starbot macrumors regular

How about this.. Apple Maps on the Apple Watch.

No traffic which would be very handy while driving. No biking directions, which is absurd because the tapping would be most useful in this case. And lastly, no compass, which meant I was taking my phone out every so often while mountain biking (reminded me of my iphone 3G).

When's Google Maps coming to the AW!?