Bigger Hard Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by crobbins, May 18, 2008.

1. crobbins macrumors 6502

Hi, I did a search in the forums and couldn't find anything with just quick browsing so I thought I would ask. Does anyone know if they make a bigger hdd that will work in the MacBook Air yet? The 80gb one is just about full..I have no qualms with opening it up if it means more space, I just can't seem to figure out if they make one that will actually work. Thanks in advance!

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They don't make bigger HDDs. I'm sure Apple would offer it if they did. Maybe the 160GB? I don't think the 2-platter would work.

3. glitch44 macrumors 65816

i wonder how many grams they saved by going with the 1.8 inch drives over the 2.5 inch drives? it's a shame because the 2.5 inch form factor would open it open to so many user upgrades by third party SSD drives.

4. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

No, at the moment the 80 Gb is the largest single platter 1.8" drive that will fit into the MBA. There are plans for a 100 Gb one in the near future, but these kinds of hard drive are not easy to come by. As well, it's not the weight of a 2.5" hard drive that would be a problem, it's the size, it would have been too big to keep the dimensions of the Air, it is an ultra-portable after all.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

its not the weight that restricts the use of the 2.5" drives, its the size and dimensions. a 2.5" drive is huge in comparison to the 1.8" ones that they're currently using.

it IS a shame that they didn't make enough room/options for the 1.8" drives that are also available in devices like the iPod classic though.

6. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

I'm looking forward to when larger 1.8 drives that fit the MBA. I know once I get my air and a new drive comes along, I'm upgrading mine to a faster rpm as well as space increase. I know from ifixit.com that the HD removal is very doable for the Air.

7. crobbins thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the responses. I figured this was the case, but I thought I would ask around a little bit more.