Bigger HD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macnator, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Macnator macrumors 6502

Hey everyone. My MBP is the base model with 120GB HDD.
    It only had 87GB or so free. I was like WHAT?!?!?!? Should I get a bigger one installed... I plan on ripping DVD'S to my MBP using HandBrake or something. IT takes forever though (if anyone knows another DVD ripping software let me know). So I think having a bigger HDD would benefit me.... I would have it installed by a professional.. Any thoughts?

thanks MN

2. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

If you throw the install disc as soon as you get the computer, it will re-install the OS minus all the extra drivers it has to begin with. That will free up several GB's.

If you install a new hard drive in your MBP, your warranty will be voided. Don't forget that.

Still, you could throw a 320gb 5400 drive in there if space is that important.

3. a4abt macrumors regular

Upgrading the HD was not an easy task, but it's totally worth it :p

When I got my MBP, I was thinking that 120gb was enough, but I quickly realized that it ain't. There are a few "how-to" on the Internet that will guide you through the upgrade if you want to do it yourself.

4. Macnator thread starter macrumors 6502

if i throw in the install disk...... what happens to all my apps that i downloaded and all my music,, pictures and stuff like that?

will it void the warranty even if certified computer people put the harddrive in?

5. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

If you throw in the install disk, everything goes bye-bye. That's why it's best to do as soon as you get the computer.

The only way I can imagine that it wouldn't void the warranty is if somehow you could get an Apple employee to install the hard drive for you.

6. mbrydone macrumors regular

i've heard that if you get the replacement done at an authorized reseller as well that it won't void your warnetee...i would check with whoever is going to be doing the replacement

7. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Not true it only voids your warranty if you screw something up

8. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

I had my MBP hard drive upgraded by an Apple-certified service center (not owned or operated by Apple). They were very careful to notify me that of course the new hard drive was not covered under the computer's warranty (which is obvious), but that all other original hardware was still covered under warranty.

Since this shop has been doing warranty repairs for Apple for years, I take them at their word.

9. DavoMrMac macrumors 6502

DavoMrMac

If you do a fresh install of the OS with only the needed components it can save around 4GB. Also, have a good archiving plan and 120GB should be plenty big enough.

10. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Get an extenral drive enclosure for your new drive and clone your existing hard drive with something like Carbon Copy Cloner, or Super Duper, and then when you get the new hard drive installed, clone the copy back to the new drive. Keep your old drive for use in the enclosure and you have an external drive for backup.

11. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

That's the ideal case, then.

12. secretpact macrumors 6502

Is having a big hard drive a problem because you need to match the size with an external when using time machine? I don't know if you have to match the size, I don't have leopard so I'm just guessing.