iPad Bigger iPad: iPad Pro or iPad Plus ?

Ahhz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
Just a simple question requiring simple responses. What will Apple call the new bigger iPad: the "iPad Pro" or the "iPad Plus" and why?

Been seeing lots of both on the web and, IMO..

iPad Pro: With "Pro" being used in their vaunted Mac line of computers, would they want to cheapen/lessen the top Mac moniker by also using it on the much more feeble iPads? I think "Pro" will be used only if the processor, storage, screen, ram, etc are increased quite a bit. As well as the OS (perhaps iOS/OS XY hybrid).

iPad Plus: With "Plus" being used on their latest flagship mobile phone, it may make sense to continue using it with their biggest badasseryness mobile tablet. I think "Plus" will surely be used if only the screen size is increased with just a small hardware spec bump. "Plus" also may be used even with a huge spec bump because Microsoft added "Pro" to their flagship Surface tablet first.

I was going to post a poll but didn't see that option.

So which moniker sounds better? What do you think Apple will go with?

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
If they do it and use one of those two names it will be iPad plus to go along with the iPhone naming scheme.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
If they do it and use one of those two names it will be iPad plus to go along with the iPhone naming scheme.
But they're already in the Mac naming scheme, that is iPad Air from MacBook Air, iPad Mini from Mac Mini. It's mixed but from the computer line.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
But they're already in the Mac naming scheme, that is iPad Air from MacBook Air, iPad Mini from Mac Mini. It's mixed but from the computer line.
I guess you do have a point, I still don't see them going with iPad pro though.

srshaw

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
If its just bigger, then ipad air plus.

If (as I hope) a bigger ipad is more of an ipad/mac hybrid, then perhaps an ipad pro.

Nozuka

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2012
doesnt look like the thought ahead with the naming scheme, so i guess they could go with anything. but i'm sure they'll choose something that will make it sound like something better.

also they talk about stereo speakers. wouldn't it be nice if it had speakers on all 4 sides and when the screen turns it just changes the speakers with it? that way it doesnt matter how you hold it, left is always left and right is always right. or i guess for gaming it could even provide some surround feel with all speakers active.

Last edited:

mi7chy

macrumors 603
Oct 24, 2014
Plus if it's just bigger.

Pro if it ads new features like precision pen, split screen multitasking, etc. which is what they really need to catch up with the competition.