Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daywiz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
Now that the iPad Air is out, and a fair amount of reviews coming in, the general consensus is that the device is pretty good, but hindrances with iOS 7, 64-bit memory issues, and lack of increased DRAM has been some of the issues that have been raised.

Now here are some views which I feel might be food for thought and an idea to debate and discuss.

Apple likely to introduce a bigger ipad next year. A bigger iPad.

Pick one from the following:

• 11.6" ipad or 12.5"
  • A7 processor (28nm from Samsung) or new A8 ( 20nm process from TSMC / Samsung - production in first quarter 2014)
  • 1 GB RAM or 2 GB RAM
  • PowerVR G6430 (same as present ipads) or PowerVR G6630 ( top of line)
  • Same storage capacities as before or jump to 32/64/128/256
  • Retina display of 2048 x1536 (lower ppi then Air ) or increased resolution 3072 x 2304
  • Same battery life or more?

In my personal opinion, it will be 12.5" ( slotting in between the MBA 11 & 13, but for people who prefer the increased size. Its an incremental jump, with about 50% more screen space than 9.7" ipad, similar to how the mini - ipad ratio.

We may find the A8 coming in, with TSMC starting production in the first quarter or we may find the A7 might even get updated to the new 20nm SoC manufacturing process.

According to Anandtech, an additional GB of RAM should pretty much clear up problems that the iOS 7 currently has. so we should see that.

The GPU I am bit unsure, because the review talked about the limitations of 28nm, so that might need an improvement before perhaps the G6630 can be incorporated.

I think Apple might maintain the same thickness of 7.5mm or maybe 7.6mm, only perhaps working on the bigger screen. We could see a weight of around 560-600g.

I am not too sure Apple will kick up the screen resolution, unless they figure out a way to maintain the thinness, battery life and get super high resolution in time. I think the 2048 x 1536 is pretty adequate for 11.6" screen.

I think the moniker is going to be Pro..in lines with Mini, Air and Pro similar to the macs.

There is a possibility that the bigger could see a launch in April, along with other items, but alot will depend on the yield, and manufacturing process.

I doubt we will see any updates to ipads then. And the pricing will be up by $100 over the Air. Since its essentially just a bigger iPad, the margin is going to be so much higher. So even things like a minor RAM upgrade, and bigger screen size won't really affect their margin. Chances are that it will have the same 16/32/64/128 combo but it could be the first iOS device to offer 32gb base

I don't think things like Touch ID will make the cut unless its targeting an October launch...or they could follow the same principal as they did with Mini. the bigger ipad will lead the way for the other ipads to follow. I do wish they launched the bigger one in April.

MacAgnostic

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
Bellevue, WA

Attachments

• ipad Pro.png
    ipad Pro.png
    672.1 KB · Views: 13,932
Last edited:

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I would be interested in something that size. I agree that if this is released the resolution will have to be increased but hopefully it stays in the 4:3 AR.

My only concern is the CPU/GPU combo. We saw what happened with the iPad 3 and how performance was affected. I would probably wait for the 2nd gen version to be safe.

MacAgnostic

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
Bellevue, WA
I think it is likely the display resolution will be pixel-tripled 3072 x 2304 @ 324ppi.
This would be an exact fit for a 12.9-inch display.
Oops, I made a math error.
The ppi would need to be 298ppi for a 12.9 display.

Here is a corrected mock-up:

Attachments

• ipad Pro 2.png
    ipad Pro 2.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 353

thunng8

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2006
Given the following rumors:
Apple Reportedly Targeting Late Q3 2014 for 12.9-Inch 'iPad Pro' Launch
iOS 8 Likely to Bring Split-Screen Multitasking to the iPad

I think it is likely the display resolution will be pixel-tripled 3072 x 2304 @ 324ppi.
This would be an exact fit for a 12.9-inch display.

Here is a mock-up shown with the split-screen next to an iPad Mini:

I think another option is a resolution of 3072x2048. This makes running 2 apps side by side with no scaling of existing retina ipad apps although running full screen would leave a little bit of black borders unless app is updated to the new aspect ratio.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The iPad Pro like this with a great detachable keyboard would be first on my list for sure!

People were railing against a larger tablet with a keyboard attached in the surface pro thread.

I'm not trying to derail this by interjecting the SP3 into this discussion but point out how a larger tablet seems to cause a love/hate response.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
People were railing against a larger tablet with a keyboard attached in the surface pro thread.

I'm not trying to derail this by interjecting the SP3 into this discussion but point out how a larger tablet seems to cause a love/hate response.

I agree. I seem to remember the same love/hate thing when they announced the iPhone 5:p

I am a believer in choice. Apple would offer this larger iPad in ADDITION to it regular sizes.

MacAgnostic

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
Bellevue, WA
I think another option is a resolution of 3072x2048. This makes running 2 apps side by side with no scaling of existing retina ipad apps although running full screen would leave a little bit of black borders unless app is updated to the new aspect ratio.
While a 3:2 aspect ratio would probably be pretty comfortable to use, I think it is unlikely Apple will change the iPad from 4:3.
Additionally, other than the side-by-side display option, Legacy Apps would not scale well to a non-integral (8/3) scale factor.

Here is another mock-up in landscape mode next to an iPad Air:

Attachments

• ipad air pro.png
    ipad air pro.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 4,734
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.