Bigger iPod Classic coming?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pyrrhic, Sep 29, 2008.

1. pyrrhic macrumors newbie

I've finally talked my boss into dropping his Zune for an iPod classic, but he wants one bigger than 120gb. He has a massive collection and I told him that there are usually 2 models of everything, but I haven't seen or heard anything about a 240gb classic. Any word on that?

The day the 120gb classic was released, gizmodo had an article about Toshiba releasing a 240gb 1.8" drive, but there's still no larger iPod. Should I tell him to wait or just get the 120gb?

Here's the article:
    http://gizmodo.com/5047611/toshibas-18+inch-120gb-and-240gb-drives-appear-uh-wheres-the-240gb-ipod

2. 36183 Guest

does his zune work ? in which case he doesn't need anything new. about the bigger ipod, he may be able to pick up a old 160gb one somewhere. and as it is the pervious generation its likely to be cheaper.

3. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

You could still get the 160GB from the Refurb store. I don't think the 240GB will be coming anytime soon. Apple just refreshed the iPod Classic. It won't happen until at least after Christmas.

4. nutmac macrumors 68040

120 GB is currently the largest single platter 1.8" hard disk on the market. Steve Jobs said the company will not introduce iPod classic with dual-platter 1.8" hard disk (e.g., 240 GB) due to increased thickness.

iPod classic may get a capacity bump when and if larger single platter hard disk becomes available. Considering minimal update 120 GB iPod classic received, however (e.g., it is still stuck with older UI), that may not happen for awhile, if ever.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Unfortunately, I have to agree with the above analysis. Recent updates gave a strong indication of limited Apple interest in the iPod classic and I'm inclined to think that this will continue to be the case for the near future.
    Cheers

6. briansolomon macrumors 6502

briansolomon

You can still buy NEW 160s in the clearance section for $299