Bigger IS better!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rdp5008, Aug 19, 2007.

1. rdp5008 macrumors regular

rdp5008

After a year of using my Powerbook with it's tiny 12" screen I FINALLY broke down and bought a new monitor. I have been doing work lately that really needs some more screen real estate.

I got a 20" widescreen Samsung SyncMaster 204BW and this thing is sweet! I was debating between the Samsung and a 22" widescreen Chimei monitor, but I went with the big name and I'm happy with the results. It is so big and bright and seducing...

Now I just need one of those new apple keyboard so I don't have to lean over and type on my Powerbook keyboard. I am running it in "clamshell" mode, but I leave the PB lid open for cooling purposes and it seems to work fantastic!

I realize most of you have already had this revelation, but this is new to me!

2. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

funny thread name and congrats on u'r monitor

3. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

I feel your joy!

Having recently moved from a very old 17" CRT to an HP w2207, I'm still wondering why I waited so long......

happy happy joy joy :D

4. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Running with the lid open isn't clamshell mode.

5. rdp5008 thread starter macrumors regular

rdp5008

Yes it is. If you close the lid and put the computer to sleep and then plug in a USB device, such as a mouse, the computer wakes up and displays on the monitor attached via DVI. If you open the lid the laptop screen remains completely off and you are still running in clamshell mode, just with the laptop open for cooling purposes. Try it out. It isn't mirror or extended mode, so it must be clamshell mode.

Wooh, this thing is great!

6. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I almost expected this to be a spam thread by the title.

I know what you mean about running it in clamshell with the lid open, I do it with my macbook when I'm dealing with flash (damn do the fans come on then).

Enjoy the freedom of the larger screen. :)

7. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Yup, I couldn't take working on my 15'' Macbook Pro screen, so I upgraded to a 37'' (1920x1080) with my MBP in clamshell mode (DVI-HDMI)...and love it more than life itself. Bigger IS better; I concur :D