Bigger risk?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zoomvroom89, Aug 31, 2008.

1. zoomvroom89 macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of buying a MacBook Pro. I know that new ones are just around the corner. I kinda need one now, but I can also make do with what I have for about another month. But after doing some more reading on these forums, it seems as if though apple's rev a products are pretty faulty.

So here's my question - is it a bigger risk to buy the current mbp's with the faulty nvidia cards or the rev a versions which will most likely have some bugs?

Thanks

2. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

My take on this is that if you can wait (which it seems you can), you'd be better waiting until the predicted anouncements on 9th//16th September.

Either way, if you end up with either a faulty graphics chip or a faulty rev a product, Apple will repair/replace it under the warranty so no worries there.

3. zoomvroom89 thread starter macrumors newbie

gazfocus, I've heard that if the card malfunctions after the one year warranty is up, they won't replace it.

4. zoomvroom89 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. NintendoChick macrumors regular

That's what applecare is for :p

In terms of "risk", it's really determined by you. What do you feel more comfortable with if your Mbp breaks?

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree completely. With a new machine, you get a one year warranty, and at any time during that year you can buy Applecare, which will give you protection for a further two years. So, if you have a warranty/Applecare, you are covered for up to three years if anything goes wrong.

Cheers