Biggest 3.0 Disappointment: Mail

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tempusfugit, Jul 9, 2009.

1. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

I've been using 3.0 since the early beta days (registered in dev program) and one thing I really hoped they would shape up was the mail client built into the OS.

In OS X I can view my inboxes collectively, displaying all emails from my accounts on one screen. This way, when I see that I have a new email, I hit the mail icon on the dock and it brings me to all of my new messages. In iPhone OS it will show that I have a new email but when I open the client it will only display one of my inboxes instead of all of them collectively.

Maybe I'm just not savvy enough to have figured out a way in which to display all of my account emails at the same time, but I somehow think thats not the case.

Why haven't they made this obvious improvement to the OS? Does this agitate anyone else but me? I hate having to push like 4 or 5 buttons on the screen to navigate to the proper inbox...

2. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

I would like to be able to collapse the folder trees.

3. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Yes I agree. The mail app does need to be heavy hit with the next big firmware release. If the iPhone wants to compete with Blackberry over business users, the least they can do is fix up the mail app. Give us some way to save attachments and maybe even edit certain types. Make it easier to navigate through the different mail folders/accounts. I don't think it would kill Apple to pick up a blackberry for a few minutes and take a few peeks about how email is supposed to work on a phone. As far as most of everything else goes about the iPhone, it has Blackberry beat by miles.

4. tempusfugit thread starter macrumors 65816

That's a pretty good point. Wouldn't hurt to learn from the competition. And its not that the mail isn't functional, it is very much so. There are just a few obvious changes to be made to make it more seamless and user friendly.

5. Dre325 macrumors newbie

I completely agree. I have 3 account on my phone and it's a serious pain to switch between them. I typically close the mail ap from within one of my inboxes so if there's a new mail in a different box, it's 4 or 5 clicks to get to it.

The other thing I can't stand is the button to download the rest of the email within the email itself. I typically find myself waiting and waiting for an email to display, only to realize that if I scroll down slightly, there is a button waiting for me to download the message. I wish there was a setting to turn this button off since I've never not downloaded a message I want to view.

Oh, and it'd be nice if push worked too.

6. hsk macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Totally agree. If we could at least bypass the folder tree that would be nice. But I would really like one screen with my inboxes and be able to click directly into each account's inbox from one screen.

7. abnospam macrumors regular

abnospam

How do you know there is a new email? There is no BB "red star" feature.
    The mail count doesn't help as I always have unread emails. Would a star kill you?

And, I can hardly feel the vibrate, so that is no good for an indicator either.

8. TapHappy macrumors regular

I would have to go with overall speed. My iPhone is much slower on 3.0 than any other update.

9. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

3.0 needs better attachment handling. You should be able to add a picture or attachment to an email rather then having to add pictures from the photo app to a new email. The biggest complaint about mail to me.

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

unified folders (mostly inbox) and different signatures for different accounts and I'd be happy.

11. kylemg macrumors newbie

A Junk Mail folder should be added to each mailbox. I frequently end up deleting spam from on my iPhone that goes to the Junk Mail folder just fine on my Mac.

Syncing of rules would be nice too.

12. outphase macrumors 65816

You can copy/paste images into the message as well.

13. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Personally, I think Mail on the iPhone blows away the mail client on a BlackBerry.

14. Roller macrumors 68020

I'd also like to see the ability to send emails to group addresses, as well as specify a "reply to" address for an account. It's hard to believe that Apple is serious about courting business users when they leave features like these out.

15. Morn macrumors 6502

You know...
    You could just try forwarding all your emails to one account. :rolleyes:

16. dagomike macrumors 65816

Yes, multiple accounts is a real pain. I think when you click he acciut it should go right to inbox with seperate button for folders. I very rarely go into folders but am doing endless clicking in and out of accounts all day. Better yet, there should be a unified inbox.

17. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

How about something as simple and basic as being able to select and delete multiple messages rather then having to check each one, one at a time. "Select All / Delete All" or delete everything older then a selected message.

18. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

That would be nice. I have a mobile me account and a couple of gmail accounts this would be nice if the could do this somehow...

But the biggest 3.0 disappointment for me is how many dropped calls I've had ALL over and on both 3G and Edge.. I've done countless restores and whatnot.. If this new software doesn't make that better I'm jumping ship...

But I do hope they do something with mail, if I have the iphone that long..

James

19. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

A unified inbox and Junkmail folders would be nice.

Unrelated but on the same note, I'd like Apple to take a cue from Palm and integrate AIM/Jabber/GTalk/ICQ into the Messages app.

20. aarcarr macrumors member

A Mark As Read option would be great instead of just the Delete and Move buttons.
    Everytime I read a message in Mail on my PowerBook it still pushes as Unread to my phone and is kind of a pain

21. cjbryce macrumors 6502

cjbryce

+1

And I'd like to see separate sigs for each account - that's a real PITA.

22. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

Mail needs a fix

I agree.

We need:
    1) A unified inbox - which automagically sends replies from the right account.
    2) The ability to use a mobile-me alias as a "from" address.
    3) Multiple Sigs (for business and personal)

At the moment, the Gmail web-based iPhone client seems just as capable. Apple needs to rework this application from the ground up.

C.

23. mrtune macrumors 6502a

I agree with most of the posters here. Mail is a good app and just needs a few key features added to make it fantastic. They added search which was a big one on my list, as well as landscape typing.

I would really like to see a unified inbox, just like mail on the mac. Something simple, like a inbox link on the account screen. I could either choose to drill down one by one like now, or just click on the inbox and they are all combined. Everyone wins.

Also a way to jump straight back to the account screen would be nice. How about just putting a double back arror button next to the single arrow now. That way you have choice. Either go back one level, or all the way.

And last but certainly not least, multiple sigs. There are many who use the phone with business and personal email accounts. Having sigs tied directly to an account is a better approach than a one size fits all approach they give us now. They offer it on the mac, why not on iPhone?

Add those and this app will be killer!

24. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

its not really the same thing, but have you thought about having your other accounts forwarded to one account.

Not something I would do, but just thought I'd offer the thought.

25. mbob macrumors member

Scratch me from a unified mailbox if it checks them all when you click on your inbox. Right now I have 3 mail boxes with push on my main account. When I am using it, it does not check the other 2. But Apples "manual" check is actually automatic when you click the inbox. So I'd rather save the battery life of checking the other 2 boxes since I use them only couple times a day.