Biggest Competitor to iPad 2 ... iPad 1?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by OSMac, Mar 3, 2011.

1. OSMac, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011

OSMac macrumors 65816

At $349US , £289 refurbished from Apple , is the iPad 1 the biggest competitor to the iPad 2?

Wonder how long they will take to sell out...
    I'd bet Samsung , Motorola, LG and RIM hope it's very soon.

2. DeeEss macrumors 6502a

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

A one time occurrence. There's almost not real competitors for the ipad right now. Xoom just came out, but its over priced. The tab is not running honeycomb and the sales of the unit have been lackluster.

I'd like to see the lay of the land in the 3rd quarter. We'll probably see a more crowded field at that point.

Take a look at the iPhone marketshare and that will show you what will happen with the iPad. The tablet market will be flooded with various android and windows based tablets and apple's market share will shrink.

4. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

I'm not sure if you can compare the two,as the iPhone had the misfortune of only being available on just one carrier. Thats gonna make a difference

5. Biggestapple, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011

Biggestapple macrumors newbie

I completely agree, iPad is indeed the biggest competitor to iPad 2....
    been disappointed with ipad 2... they should have atleast put a retina display in it

6. JPanther macrumors newbie

HA. Though very much would have liked it, it's faaaaaaaaaaaaaar from it being a "should have atleast put" it in feature. Better luck next time ;)

7. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

i dont think its far away, but not all the way there plus everyone will still buy one. im going to get one if i can sell my 36 ipad 16gb for 500. if not then not to much of a concern, i wouldn't buy one if i had to straight out pay for another though.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Only had the misfortune of being on a single carrier in the US. Around the world its available on multiple carriers and the same issue happened. People chose a device that suited their needs. In many cases that was not the iPhone.

The same exact thing is going to occur with the iPad. Lots of different devices, especially android based and they'll exceed the marketshare of the iPad in a couple of years.

Apple cannot compete with every hardware manufacturer. They're a single company making a single tablet. There's HP, Rim, HTC, Samsung, LG, Motorola, Dell. Just to name a few. As they ramp up production of tablets that will eat away at the marketshare of the iPad to a degree that android devices will exceed that of the iPad.

9. Jcoz macrumors 6502

Certainly it will shrink compared to where they stand now, but creating the market for media consumption style tablets is not at all comparable to Apple entering the smartphone market in 2007.

Until someone can beat the ipad on price by a significant amount, I don't see how anything close to the iphone scenario will play out.

Also, the ipads widespread availability and having no carrier dependence make this an entirely different situation.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think any one device is going to beat out the iPad just like there is no single phone that is beating the iPhone. If you look at iOS and android market share for phones. Then you see that multiple makers making multiple phones will always beat out a single maker making two phones.

The same thing with tablets. When HTC, samsung and others start flooding the market with multiple tablets we'll see the apple platform shrink and the android platform increase.

11. jlasoon macrumors 6502

You state this as fact, what are the revenue discrepancies when you compare the iPhone to other headsets? Apple could give two sh*%s about numbers, look at how much money the product is generating.

12. Jcoz macrumors 6502

I agree, but what I am saying is that it will not be equivalent to the phone market in terms of % of market share.

I believe apple can hang onto significantly more share here. To be specific, I could see a long term 40% hold on the market by Apple.

13. Jcoz macrumors 6502

I dont think the iPad 1 is a competitor to the iPad 2 at all.

We are obviously talking primarily about those that do not own an iPad yet, and to me the iPad one being offered at a lower price is mostly going to attract the people who could not otherwise afford one, either at all, or at the memory capacity they need.

14. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Except , of course, it's a totally different market and, more importantly, Android handsets are a LOT cheaper than the iPhone as carriers can subsidise them and get better unit prices than Apple offers by playing the various manufacturers off against each other.

Ultimately it'll come down to price. If and when Android tablets of an equivalent quality to the iPad (i.e. not the cheap pieces of tat that current sit under £200) hit the market at a significantly cheaper price point you'll see mass market adoption. Until then they're going to be mostly geek magnets. We should also bear in mind that both RIM and HP have potentially great competitors coming this year and they could cause Android some problems if they're priced right. I'd also question if the big boys (Samsung, LG etc) will want to start slashing prices considering the lessons they're learning in the phone market. They're making huge sales yet just not turning the sort of profits they should and I can see them being VERY reluctant to get involved in that war again, especially as smaller companies come in and capture the lower end of the market like ZTE are starting to do in the phone space.

As for the iPad 1 being the biggest competitor to the iPad 2 that's going to be a short term situation only. Apple are just clearing out stock (and, cleverly, ensuring that people who buy one now don't complain too much in a couple of weeks) and there's no indication this will be a permanent situation.

15. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

This only works if you combine all Android tablets into a single entity. I would think it would be quite a long time before you have a single OEM exceeding Apple in tablet sales. Can it happen, sure, but not for a while.

Apple doesn't have to compete against every hardware manufacturer. All they need is to maintain a market share that keeps them from being irrelevant.

Android gaining marketshare will keep Google relevant. However, it does nothing to prevent the individual manufacturers from losing money and dropping out of the business. The Samsungs, HTCs, and Motos are just competing against Apple either, they're competeing against each other. How many Xooms does Moto need to sell to stay in business? Samsung's Tab could potentially each into Xoom sales as well.