Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kgarchar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Seriously. This machine has been nothing short of amazing. Only problem I've had is the shifting of the FN keys to the right. Going back and forth between my iMac and MBA throws me off because I'll go to turn the volume down and end up muting it on my iMac. Every time I go to mute it on my iMac I skip to the next song. Then I go to mute something on the MBA and I just turn it down/hit eject.

Really though, I've had no complaints aside from that. By far the best machine I've ever owned. I absolutely love it.

gb1631

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2009
PNW Puget Sound
I haven't really discovered any drawbacks with my MBA 11". I watched 'Burn Notice' on it last night and was happy with the screen's colors, etc.

I'm pretty impressed with it sofar! ;) :apple:

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
I haven't really discovered any drawbacks with my MBA 11". I watched 'Burn Notice' on it last night and was happy with the screen's colors, etc.

I'm pretty impressed with it sofar! ;) :apple:

Mmm.. Gabrielle Anwar. Something about her. :)

FAsnakes

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2007
That's a tough one..
i'd say the lack of a backlit keyboard (when compared to a MBP)

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2010
i know not so many people complain about this but my biggest problem is you can't use the Apple Remote...yes no sensor.i need it for my presentations.

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
I've found one potential design flaw on my new 11.6" MBA... when I'm typing on it (as I am right now), if I don't keep my right hand rotated slightly counter-clockwise, the "ball" of my hand (that part of the palm near the thumb) will occasionally click the trackpad, and depending on where the mouse pointer is, it can cause problems. I usually have this problem on Windows machines because of their crappy trackpad design, but I didn't expect it on this one.

I really do like this little thing. I love how fast it is and the fact that I can do all my work from something barely larger than my iPad. I got quite a few stares and comments I could overhear when I opened the box the first time the other night while sitting at the table in the restaurant. :)

Oh, one I think I really DO like is the keyboard itself. I think it has a better feel than my MBP!!

Rob

EspressoLove

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Bay Area
Seriously. This machine has been nothing short of amazing. Only problem I've had is the shifting of the FN keys to the right. Going back and forth between my iMac and MBA throws me off because I'll go to turn the volume down and end up muting it on my iMac. Every time I go to mute it on my iMac I skip to the next song. Then I go to mute something on the MBA and I just turn it down/hit eject ...

I kinda had similar problems (in between MBP <-> MBA)
I've found KeyRemap4MacBook indispensable for this, and many other things.
plus once you start to think up the ways to customize it to your needs/uses - the guy there, Takayama Fumihiko is extremely helpful!

E.g. I flip Fn keys, so I could no longer use ⌃⌥⏏ (⏏ is with F12 on MBA), he helped me with that in no time - by releasing new version, no less :D
I wish Steve Jobs could learn from this guy a bit :confused:

EspressoLove

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Bay Area
But speaking of drawbacks, I can name few as well:
- no keyboard backlight
- no IR/Remote (for presentations and managing my Awaken.app alarm clock)
- no "free" heating for my fingers and laps...

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Lots of drawbacks...

- Causes me to have weaker muscles because it doesn't weigh enough.
- I can't find a use for my big laptop backpack, MBA is too small, gets lost in there.
- I no longer get a concentration break while waiting for big applications to start up.
- I've lost my excuse for why I can't work on the go... that my laptop is (was) too heavy, big, cumbersome.

I'm not sure if I can deal with these drawbacks. May have to go back to my MBP.

VictoriaStudent

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
That's a tough one..
i'd say the lack of a backlit keyboard (when compared to a MBP)

imawondering,

can you not yet touch-type?

seriously, how many of you folks out there who complain about the lack of back-lit keyboard need to look as you type?

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I got quite a few stares and comments I could overhear when I opened the box the first time the other night while sitting at the table in the restaurant. :)

I don't doubt. I can't think of a better place than a restaurant to unbox your toys.

applebook

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2009
The only drawback is that the LCD is much lower color gamut than the MBP/MB plastic unibody, but the screen still has sharp contrast and solid colors.

mediacomposer

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
Boston, MA
Backlit Backshplit

I went from a 13" Rev C Air to a 11" Air and found I didn't really miss the backlit keyboard. They made the keyboard letters reflective, so it uses the light from the screen to light the keys enough that they'd be recognizable. I can type very comfortably in complete darkness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.