Biggest drives a WD Premium Edition II can handle?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by LeicaM8, Mar 20, 2013.

1. LeicaM8 macrumors member

LeicaM8

Does anyone know what is the maximum drive size I can put in a WD Premium Edition II Drive Case?
    It's one of the early WD External Raid Housings with FW800/400 & USB. It Supports Raid 0 and 1 Only. The WD website has been no help and sifting the google search results is taking awhile.
    I need to knowif it can handle 2tb or larger drives and if it can successfully use the WD Green drives, but since the drive can't do JBOD I can't experiment on my own. I don't have a pair of empty green drives or pair of empty 2tb or 3tb drives available and I don't have the $$$ to order a stack of drives from TigerDirect .
    Thx in Advance
    Richard in Michigan
    (I'm not sure if this is the right sub-forum to ask this, but google is giving me a googleplex of spurius results)

2. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

If you format the with a GPT partition table, I think at least 4ZB each.

3. LeicaM8 thread starter macrumors member

LeicaM8

4ZB looks suspiciously like 4TB - is that a correct inference on my part? :)

R in Mi.

4. Giuly, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

No, I actually mean Zettabyte. GPT can address 8.4ZB, so two 4ZB drives in RAID0 should still work.

In other words: Terabytes are nine orders of magnitude too small to cause trouble, 4TB drives will work just fine. Just make sure to use GPT (Under Partition->Options in Disk Utility).

5. LeicaM8 thread starter macrumors member

LeicaM8

Zettabyte is a new term for me!
    (Photography Esoterica & Engineering terms are my main forte)
    A Big Thx for the info. :D
    At least I now know there are no theoretic obstacles in my way, but (there's always a but):
    I'm still left wondering if there's an Engineering Obstacle lurking out there?
    eg: Did WD Design the controller board to only be able to handle _X_TeraBytes?
    I wouldn't give it a second thought, but I recall seeing Raid Housings on the net over the years warning about max drive capabilities.
    R. In Mi.

6. Rachel Faith macrumors regular

Rachel Faith

BUMP

I would like to know this too.

WD support says NOT SUPPORTED. But maybe someone knows HOW to get bigger than 1TB to work. A hack? Linux? Hex editor? Anyone?