Biggest HD for Early 2011 Macbook Pro 15"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by foem, Nov 5, 2014.

1. foem macrumors newbie

I currently have a 512gb SSD in the main drive, and a 1TB HD in the optical, with an OWC data doubler bracket.

If I understand correctly, the max drive height is 12.5mm for the opti bay.
    Also, it can only run a drive that's 3gbp/s.

I've also read something about making 6gbp/s drives run at 3gbp/s by modifying the drive firmware.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this... I'd like to get at least a 1.5tb, hopefully 2tb drive in there.

2. rmackner macrumors member

If a sata3 drive (6gbp/s) is connected to a sata2 controller (3gbp/s) it will limit itself to the specs of sata2.

3. Potatochobit macrumors regular

I don't think I have seen a 2TB SSD

like the guy said above you are worrying about nothing
    any small 2.5" hard drive will work fine

4. rmackner macrumors member

Get two 1tb SSDs and raid 0 them together for massive read/write speeds! Just make sure you TM the computer every few days.

5. foem thread starter macrumors newbie

I was told by OWC that a 6GBP/s drive will not work in the optical slot. They said it will be unreliable.

----------

I'm not looking for a bigger SSD, can't afford one right now--looking for a bigger HD in the optical bay.

6. rmackner macrumors member

Well I assume it must be a hardware limitation with the optical slot drive bay that they provide. Then again most psychical drives can't even take full advantage of a SATA3 controller with read and write speeds of around 60-100 MBp/s.