Biggest iPhone battery sinks you have found?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bbplayer5, Oct 13, 2008.

1. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

For me, mobile me mail push on = constant battery loss. Contacts and Calendar are also a huge battery sink.

Does anyone have a comparison between 2G and 3G times for internet surfing, calling, standby etc (only done with the iphone 3G, not the older phone)? I have found battery life tests, but nothing comparing everything with Edge vs 3G. I dont trust Apples numbers.

Thanks.

2. buccsmf1 macrumors 6502

for me, the only things that noticeably ravage through my battery are games, and netshare. Netshare kills a full battery in about 2 hours. If I'm playing games on and off through the day I usually have to charge it before I go to bed or it won't make it through the next day.

3. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

4. rfrankl macrumors 6502

5. bigmouth macrumors 6502

Push and Location Services. I still get a day, but the meter runs down noticeably more quickly. Of course, the biggest battery suck will be 3G. If I got anything less than a day, I'd turn that off.

6. heyp macrumors 6502

i thought in theory that location services only ate up the battery if they were being used in some location based app, otherwise i thought it had no effect

7. bigmouth macrumors 6502

Right, but while you're using those LS-based apps, it still sucks up battery life more quickly. It's not as bad as it was pre-2.1, when you had to switch it off manually after every use. But you'll still save some power by keeping LS off -- e.g., when using Maps. The question is whether that marginal savings outweighs the annoyance of switching it on and off.

8. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Turn it off and you'll see the difference, when I got 2.0, my battery was draining so fast. I turned that off, and I'm back to normal.

Location services is the devil. No need for it to be on all day.

9. DigMe macrumors 6502

So that assessment is only based on 2.0? Supposedly 2.1 changed it so that it was only on and sucking power while you were using an app that utilizes location services, no?

10. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

I only put it on when I need it, I don't need my phone constantly trying to find out where I am so then I go to actually use it and I get the 20 percent warning.

Maybe it fixed it but I don't need it enough to even turn it on, so I don't, and my battery has been awesome.

My Usage right now is 2 hours with a day and three hours standby and my battery is still over 75 percent. Not complaining one bit.

11. BlueCan macrumors newbie

12. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

The App store... Seems to spend my battery more than anything else.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, me too (although I haven't tried Push). AF is even much worse than Spore was. :eek:

14. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

But that's the question! DOES it do this or not?

I don't think I've seen a conclusive answer either way. If it doesn't do this anymore, you're just wasting your time.

I may have to run tests on my own, since everywhere online I just see "I think" and never "I'm sure."

15. bmwpowere36m3 macrumors 6502

16. Nicholas.C macrumors 6502a

17. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Thanks for that.

If that's not a culprit, I can only think of 2 things that are causing my battery woes:

1) MobileMe Push - I've never tested this one way or the other, so this is just a guess.

2) Using 3G in a poor 3G area - I'm pretty sure that THIS is a big problem. I get 3G in half of my office, but not the other half. If I leave it on at work I get constant drain as the phone keeps switching networks constantly! I'm prety sure that when I just have a strong 3G signal, the 3G chip isn't that big of a drain. It's the constant switching that kills me. I try to leave it off, but I sometimes forget to do so when I get to work.

18. bigmouth macrumors 6502

I think you've hit the nail on the head re poor 3G reception being a major battery suck. I've also noticed an improvement in battery life after going from push back to fetch (which seems to be working for me) on my exchange account.