Bike clicks when pedaling

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by silbeej, May 8, 2007.

1. silbeej macrumors 6502a

So my mountain bike, as well as my previous bike, makes this bad clicking sound when i pedal. I think it may be my bottom bracket or something, but when i apply force to either pedal, it makes a terrible clicking sound like something is shifting slightly, almost a cracking metal sound. It is only when i apply force to each pedal individually. If i stand on both pedals, nothing, but put all weight on one and then the other, it clicks very badly. So if anyone has a bike and this happens to them, and you know how much it costs or something i could do it would be excelent.

Thanks

2. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Sounds like you need to tighten the crank bolts, particularly if they're the older square-tapered type.

3. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Yup, that's probably it. Bust out the ol' socket wrench, and give 'em a crank! If that doesn't solve it, make sure that's where the sound is coming from. Could be a variety of things, most easy fixable.

4. mpw Guest

5. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

6. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Could be the pedals as well, if you stand on the edge of the crank arms, you should be able to tell whether its the cranks/bottom bracket or pedal>crank joint.

7. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

There's all sorts of things that can cause this clicking sound:

1) Rear Derailleur not tracking straight. You would adjust this by turning the thimble nut where the cable enters the rear derailleur.

2) Bottom Bracket bearing could be wearing out. Replacement is the only cure.

3) A single Chain Link could be frozen.

I've experienced all of these causes in the past and could detect the culprit a second if I was there with your bike. :)

8. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

It could be the pedals themselves - the cheap plastic-bodied pedals dont last very long i find. You might be able to take the spindle out and oil, but you might have to replace them.

9. silbeej thread starter macrumors 6502a

The bike is about two years old, and if i align the pedal arm with the tube and pull it tight, it clicks, and then rotate it 180 and then pull, it clicks again. So it isn't the pedals, and it is something to do witht he bottom bracket, but the bike isn't that old, and has been doing it for a while.

10. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

My bike wasn't that old when my bottom bracket went out either. I replaced it with a Shimano cartridge BB and all was well. :)

11. iGav macrumors G3

Classic bottom bracket symptoms.

In the olden days you could've just stripped it, replaced whichever bearing had gone, pack it with grease and be on your way.

Now they're sealed units that fail far too often, and cost a mint to replace.

12. techgeek macrumors member

If you have the square/tapered style BB it could also be a symptom of overtightened crank bolts. The crank arm holes tend to get stretched (due to the taper) and may even crack around the corners. This means they never fit quite right and tend to creak or click. Once that has happened there is nothing you can do but replace them. Never grease or oil the tapers prior to fitting the cranks and try not to overtighten.

One way to check the cause is to turn the bike over, hold one crank still (maybe by bracing against the frame) and then alternatly pull and push the other crank. If you hear the click then it's probably the crank arms.
    If on the other hand it only happens when peddaling it's probably the BB bearings.