Bike Computers: LiveRider, iBike, others?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by kylos, Jun 11, 2011.

1. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

I haven't seen a lot of user reviews regarding iphone bike accessories like LiveRider and iBike.

Information on features and quality would be beneficial.

Some things I've found/questions raised while researching:
    LiveRider is half the price of base model iBike ($100 vs. $200).
    iBike uses ANT protocol (liverider is proprietary.
    iBike case seems to offer better protection for phone. Does it mount securely?
    Do the integrated cadence/speed pickups mount well on most bikes?
    iBike has external battery.
    How well do the apps multitask with other apps on the phone?
    Are the mapping/GPS features effective?
    The cheapest iBike doesn't include cadence (I need to check what the cost of an a la carte system would be including cadence.

Anybody here have experiences they'd like to share? Other systems that they'd recommend. I'm not looking spend much more than $200 for cadence/speed/mapping features including mounting hardware.

2. gnagy macrumors regular

I have the same exact questions. It's very hard to find information on it.

3. gnagy macrumors regular

4. kylos thread starter macrumors 6502a

kylos

Hi gnagy,

I just saw the Wahoo Fisica too. It costs less than the iBike and doesn't use a proprietary wireless protocol like LiveRider.

I also found that there is another company, Digifit, that sells a model that looks just like the Fisica, but for $30 less. I emailed Wahoo and was told that Digifit licenses the case from Wahoo and packages it with their own software which costs an extra $15. Also, even thought the Fisica can work with many apps, Digifit's model only works with their app, so you cannot experiment with many apps that are cheaper or free. And if you bundle a speed/cadence sensor with the Wahoo case, you get a $10 discount.

I am very interested in the Fisica and can't wait for your review.

5. gnagy macrumors regular

6. 7racer macrumors regular

I bought the wahoo and ended up giving it away. It didn't work that well on m MS150 charity bike ride...and I ran out of batteries after 3 hours. While it's acceptable, I found the software to be lacking. I was hoping these products could trump my older Garmin GPS computer which it doesn't...at least well. Also, what I wasn't aware of was that to get some of the full features there is an in app purchase of $ to get the full amount. I did this but again found the software to be lacking.

I ended up purchasing the iBike. It's nicer that it has a option for a second battery but the unit is $$. The software is a bit better and displays the power better...but will chime in once I use it more.

7. gnagy macrumors regular

The Wahoo Bike Pack came in the mail last week. I installed it and tested it out this past weekend. So far I like it.

Here's what it looks like installed on the bike:
    http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/5702/iphonemount.jpg
    http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/2125/cadenceorrpmsensor.jpg
    http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/3493/speedsensorandmagnetons.jpg

I bought the following app to use with it:
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/livecycling/id407471916?mt=8

I went on a one hour bike ride this morning, and the speed and cadence information was accurate. The map was very accurate as well. I'm happy with that particular app.

Battery usage was reasonable as well. I had the screen on for the whole hour on maximum brightness, and it was displaying the speed and cadence information. I forgot to check the battery % before and after the ride, so I'm not sure how much battery it used, but my phone is still alive right now, and I haven't charged it since the bike ride.

A few minor problems:
    1. On bumpy roads, the iPhone mount does rattle a bit. It will definitely annoy me, so I will try to get it fixed. I might just leave the case on the bike permanently, and figure out a way to attach it so it doesn't move at all.

2. The lock button on the top of the case sometimes gets stuck. This results in the iPhone displaying the "slide to power off" screen, and one has to tap on cancel to get out of it.

8. kylos thread starter macrumors 6502a

kylos

gnagy,

Thanks for the review. For some reason, I didn't get a notice when the thread was updated.

I've been using the free iMapMyRide and GPS route and speed tracking without the wahoo case and sensor to gauge battery life and see if the app quality is okay. On a full charge, I can usually go about 3 hours with display on and GPS tracking. I doubt the wahoo case would decrease that very much. iMapMyRide seems to be pretty accurate using GPS only (though it did once add 2.5 mi to a 25 mile ride).

7racer, Wahoo is planning on making an external battery available, but as I understand, the case does have a port for USB (mini, I think), so a third-party USB battery pack is an option. Also, you can choose from many third-party apps, so you don't have to use the bare-bones Wahoo app. It integrates with iMapMyRide and at least 30 other fitness apps.

I'm still interested in your impressions of the iBike, if you've had a chance to get it on the trail much.

9. rtywonia macrumors newbie

I just bought the Digifit after extensive research on price. I got the bike mount, the cadence, the garmin strap, and ant+ accessory for pretty cheap off their website. The bundle was less than anything else I saw even off of Amazon.

The only thing I need is a battery back up and Wahoo makes one for the bike mount. Assuming that the bike mounts are the same - I am hoping the battery back up works.

Also, the Digifit app gets pretty good reviews and works with blood pressure monitors, scales and a whole host of accessories.