Bike for under $350?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MrSmith, Aug 18, 2009.

1. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

I fancy balancing my portly frame on two wheels again after a 22-year hiatus. It's for a bit of exercise and to get me places without having to use gas, but that's quicker than walking. My wife picked a figure out of thin air of 30,000 yen I can spend, let's say up to $350 equivalent. Does anyone have a recommendation (other than spending more)? I'm obviously not looking for anything professional or for racing, but don't want something that weighs a ton or which is going to seize up after a couple of years. I had a bike way back that was hard work on the slightest hill. I'd like to enjoy the ascents as well as the descents. Oh, I don't want drop handlebars. Thanks for any pointers.

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Mountain bike guru Keith Bontrager once said "Cheap, light, strong - pick two".

$350 is right at the bottom price bracket for a decent bike, so you are going to have to make some sacrifices somewhere.

Your best bet is probably something like a Giant Cypress, with 700c wheels and an upright riding position. Try to avoid suspension at this level, it won't work very well and just adds even more weight.

With your budget, I would probably go for a second hand bike but you need to know what you are doing so you don't end up buying a dog.

3. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Don't know about in the US but here some wee rich kids get a new mountain bike every year and there of the very expensive variety which are then sold the following summer at the car boot sale.
    My last bike was in brand new condition for £5, the retail price of the model was in the £280 mark. So if you know where the rich kids sell there barely used toys you can save a lot of money.

4. vniow macrumors G4

Here in SF we have an organisation known as the Bike Kitchen (http://www.bikekitchen.org/) where you have "digging rights" to build or repair your bike for a nominal fee or volunteer hours. May not be a bad idea to find a similar group near you.

5. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Again in the UK but i picked up a great little runner of a road bike for £40 at auction. With a little tlc and cleaning, its now fantastic for uni and has cost less than £50. I would never buy a bike retail, always get 2nd hand as they are a lot cheaper and still run well

6. MrSmith thread starter macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Thanks for your replies guys. I want to buy new, but I'm only really familiar with Giant. Are there other (internationally available) makes that I should consider around that price?