Bike Turn Signals?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mrcowdude20, Oct 12, 2011.

1. mrcowdude20 macrumors regular

Any bike turn signals? How would I make them, I looked at ones on the internet, but I don't like them, and what will I need?

2. simsaladimbamba

Can you elaborate on what you actually mean? Are those "bike turn signals" you need for some special purpose? Graphics, photos, video, therapy, sports, ...?

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

4. mrcowdude20 thread starter macrumors regular

For my bicycle. Just for the heck of doing it.

5. snberk103 macrumors 603

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Exactly.

Except for the right-arm one, they can be used when driving a motor vehicle.

If necessary. ;)

Nasty in Canadian Winters. [​IMG]

7. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

In a motor vehicle the left one can also be used if you've got someone in the passenger seat. :)

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Sure, if you drive back-asswards, like the English. And I know you do.

9. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

...And the Aussies and the Indians and a ******** of little islands...

10. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

... and we'd not have our Japanese imports with out their RHD. Left hookers are only for sidewalk crawling.
    KGB:rolleyes:

11. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I saw a dude in a wheelchair at school, and when he turned a corner i told him he forgot to use his turn signal. Luckily he had a good sense of humor. :D

12. steveburns macrumors newbie

why don't you just use your hand to signal when your turning it seams such a waste to put an actual turn signal your bike...

13. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

If you really want to do this, you'll need a relay for a turn signal, or maybe an arduino programmed to power on and off a light with a steady pattern. Some LEDs or whatever and a switch that has two different on positions and an off position, then a source of power.

Or, maybe you could find motorcycle turn signals, motorcycle turn signal switch and everything else involved. Maybe look for an older model bike which had carbs rather than fuel injection, as it should just be a 'simple' circuit rather than a computer.

Lot of trouble for nothing really. Other road users won't pay attention to your turn signals either.

14. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

You can buy "blinking" LEDs which have the blink circuitry built into the LED housing or on a small circuit board. No microcontroller needed. I scavenged one off a box from a Logitech (I think?) optical mouse back when optical sensors were the new thing to replace a mechanical mouse ball. You could also scavenge from one of those fake security cameras (in which pretty much the ONLY actual circuitry is a blinking LED).

Just add a battery and either an SPDT toggle (momentary-return ideally) or two separate pushbuttons, and you're good.

15. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

its pretty simple, Just point left with your left hand if you're going to turn left, point right with your right hand if you're going to turn turn, and if you're stopping just putting your left palm backwards and do a bit it downward wave to drawn attention to the fact that you're slowing to a stop.

The left arm up at a ninety degree bend was designed for cars back in the day before signals because in a car, pointing with your right arm to go right wouldn't be visible. It also applied to motorcycles, snowmobiles and atv's that don't have signals because you need your right hand for the throttle.

16. snberk103 macrumors 603

I'm pretty sure the OP isn't coming back. Something tells me they didn't find the hand-signal suggestion as amusing as we did.... :D