Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
Putting aside the invention of personal computing...which is highly dubious, did you guys read the section about Microsoft and security?? (Which is another can of worms to deal with) But one thing he mentioned that got to me was that a 20byte fix came in a megabyte sized download... what the hell was all that extra code for?

MorganX

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
Midwest
Originally posted by Raid
Putting aside the invention of personal computing...which is highly dubious, did you guys read the section about Microsoft and security?? (Which is another can of worms to deal with) But one thing he mentioned that got to me was that a 20byte fix came in a megabyte sized download... what the hell was all that extra code for?

Possibly and installer?

evilsprung

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2003
Originally posted by MorganX
Bill Gates saying he was involved in inventing "personal computing" is analogous to Steve Jobs saying he invented the GUI. Neither is correct, neither is wrong, neither is lying. JMO.

right on.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 19, 2002
Originally posted by MorganX
My thoughts, when Bill Gates sold MS-DOS to IBM (wherever they derived their product from) and retained the rights to license it to other hardware manufacturers, they created personal computing.

And let's not forget the impact of Lotus and Dbase or the Apple II. Bill Gates saying he was involved in inventing "personal computing" is analogous to Steve Jobs saying he invented the GUI. Neither is correct, neither is wrong, neither is lying. JMO.
Steve Jobs never said he invented the GUI, he actually specifically said that when he visited PARC, that he was amazed that no one was pursuing/comercializing the ideas they had...and don't forget, personal computing was around long time before MS bought DOS and let IBM licence it.

Also, Morgan, don't change the quote to something it isn't. Bill Gates said "We invented personal computing," not "We were involved with the development of Personal Computing." If that was so, I wouldn't waste my time....

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
i just want to point out, i don't care when microsoft was founded, the only reason microsoft exists as it does today is because IBM was producing hardware that MS wanted in on... MS could have never produced hardware, whereas Apple already was, which was why IBM decided to even make the hardware. They had misconceptions that the whole thing would be a failure, but that they needed to get their foots in the door anyway.

so you've got Apple, a company mostly run by a bunch of hippies, against IBM, a company that had existed for a century before and had already become a massive conglomerate. MS simply rode IBM to the top, while Apple knew that they needed to make both hardware and software---

now granted, in the 80's, Apple did get to be very large and dominating, and if things had turned out right, they'd be the ones with 90% marketshare. unfortunately for them (not for us, apple would be completely different) a string of mistakes ruled out any chance of that...

pnw

Apple //e

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2003
Originally posted by G5orbust
"Creators" and their "creations"

Bill Gates: Personal Computing
Al Gore: The Internet

Anyone got any to add to the list?

gary fisher invented the mountain bike
god created man

........running for cover

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by Fukui
Steve Jobs never said he invented the GUI, he actually specifically said that when he visited PARC, that he was amazed that no one was pursuing/comercializing the ideas they had...and don't forget, personal computing was around long time before MS bought DOS and let IBM licence it.
Though he did bring the first GUI-based computer to market with some ideas inherent to the Lisa's architecture and OS, that took a long time to return to any Apple OS.

The Lisa was way ahead of it's time.

Thought the Mac did take Lisa's Quickdraw and the GUI, and build the next generation of computer.

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
Bill Gates is a nasty little bull****ter.

Oh, yeah, and Michael Dell brought the "first" WiFi laptop to market (a full year after Apple did).

Let's face it, there are innovators and imitators and then there are thieves. Apple is the innovator, Dell is the imitator, and Microsoft are the theives.

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2002
Washington State University
Gates did see the PC coming before most other people, except maybe Jobs.

I don't consider the Altair a PC because it was a hobbyist machine, not one for the average man to use. I think by that standard the Apple II was the first PC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.