Bill Gates mulling move back to microsoft as CEO

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by Stella, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well you have a couple of things to consider. The memory of Steve Jobs returning and saving apple is still fresh in the collective mindset of people because of his passing. Secondly as one of the co-founders of MS, I'm sure he can't help but be frustrated by the lethargic actions of his company. Couple the those two factors and you can see how he may want to "save" Microsoft

They've made some good moves in the phone arena but it yet to pay off - maybe 2012 will be better for windows phones as Nokia ramps up production.

Where's their tablets - they could have had the market cornered on tablet computers but they continually shoot themselves in the foot. Apple is prepping its 3rd generation of iPad, Amazon has already easily attained the #2 spot but no windows based tablet.

With their stock prices stagnant at best, I can see this as a possibility

3. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Come back, Bill.

And please bring the Courier tablet project back with you.

Thanks.

4. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

It'd be nice. Ballmer tries his best, but he makes the wrong call when it matters most.

5. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

If you ask me, Ballmer just seems to be an *******, and not a really good leader either. That's just my interpretation however.

Gates, even though slightly "naive" (or just playing stupid), seems like an actually decent guy. And it's not like he doesn't know the computer business.

6. paul4339 macrumors 65816

Ballmer is a bad leader for Microsoft. He's a sales guy.
    Even if Ballmer stays as CEO, they need leadership that comes from a product guy. Someone with some vision to bring the lines of business together and stop the in-fighting.
    IMO, I would say Steven Sinofsky is best positioned to provide that leadership.

7. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

+1 Microsoft need to get it together asap

8. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

It would be a good move. Giving money to all those bleeding heart liberals must get old fast. He needs a new challenge.

9. TSE macrumors 68030

I think Ballmer did some really, really good things. Xbox the main one... but other projects he lead right into the ground.

He's a C- CEO.

10. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

This rumor poped up a few days ago and I thought Gates' PR guy said "no way". I hope he does, but...

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Thanks, we read The Verge too.

12. Melrose, Dec 11, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2011

Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Ballmer mistakes enthusiasm for leadership. He's wound up about Microsoft products - which is great, he should be... and lately has reason to be for a few things - but every time he does an interview or gives a presentation he's off the mark.

It would be cool to see Bill return.

13. foidulus macrumors 6502a

Ballmer's problem is that he is neither a visionary nor a good leader. He seems to have very little interest in technology in general, and doesn't really know or care, where the industry is going. On top of that he, and other senior leadership at Microsoft, still seem to be under the impression that it is still 1997 and Microsoft's only real competitors come from inside Microsoft. There are countless stories about how Microsoft execs constantly snipe each other and jostle for "ownership" of various products. The result is just an inconsistent mess in both their product lineups and within the products themselves. Inconsistent GUIs, various software thats not compatible etc.

Microsoft needs a shakeup if they are going to survive. Whether Gates is willing or able to do so remains to be seen, but Ballmer should have been thrown out years ago.

14. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Something is very wrong when you've got nearly 2-3 times the R&D budget of Apple, with about one-tenth the results.

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

From embedded controllers to enterprise servers, from gaming systems to voice controlled automobiles, Microsoft is into far more product areas than Apple.

I just wish that Microsoft hadn't killed off the Courier project.

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

You also need to remember MS does much more R&D than Apple and does a lot more what I call university grade research. This means it pretty much known from the start it is not going to turn into any profit but more just for the bettering of man kind.

Apple on the other hand only does stuff to pad its bottom line. It does very little R&D and research. It is a very greedy company to its core.

Sum it up. MS pushes computer science much more than Apple ever could hope for.

17. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

LOL
    Notice that the poster's screen name is paul*** ?
    Is that you, Paul Thurrott?

18. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Indeed, Microsoft publishes a lot of their R&D at their Microsoft Research site.

Just go there, click on the Our Research tab, then look at the Projects and Research Areas. Some cool and interesting stuff there.

They even let you download code, such as the InkSeine project which, along with OneNote, helped form the base of the Codex/Courier project code.

19. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

It's probably desirable for Microsoft to have someone more 'visionary' than Steve Ballmer at its helm, but I'm not convinced at all that Bill Gates would be the right person.
    Anyhow, the negative perception that Microsoft has nowadays is, IMO, largely exaggerated. Commercially speaking, MSFT is still an overwhelmingly healthy business, but it doesn't enjoy (nor deserve) the "cool-factor" that other tech-giants are able to generate.

20. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

You totally just made my day!

21. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

I think bill gates has more of of a vision of the future than Balmer. Balmer is sort of just there and keeps the company in a safe zone, where Gates has a future in mind and will steer the company in that direction and I think willing to take risks to make his vision a reality.

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Where do you get this stuff? So now your anti-Apple screed includes Microsoft as some benevolent company bettering mankind. LOL.

23. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Funny, I read that as "battering" mankind.

I guess we take what we want from things.

24. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Some versions of Windows have done just that!:D

25. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I think Bill taking the reigns again would be good for the company as Ballmer is probably the worst that could happen to the company. Microsoft has been stagnate for a long time now.

Either Bill or someone with good leadership needs to take over to get Microsoft being a bit more innovative again; although I doubt it will ever be at the same level as Apple has been the last 10 years.