Bill Gates on the iPad: It's Okay

Discussion in 'iPad' started by LadyHoneyBabe, Apr 23, 2010.

1. LadyHoneyBabe macrumors 6502

2. nStyle macrumors 65816

ah... BFD. I agree with him though, in a way. There is no "scenario".

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Wasn't he the one who also said we would never need more than 640K of RAM? :D

(And before the forum police jumps on my case, yes yes yes I know this was falsely attributed to him. IT WAS A JOKE!!! :rolleyes: )

4. Soulcrux macrumors 6502

Soulcrux

Seriously? Bill Gates' opinions on tech aren't really relevant anymore. He hasn't really innovated anything since Windows XP, much less now. Now he's just a philanthropist who just happens to be chairman of the board at Microsoft.
    He thinks "it's okay"? That's probably because he doesn't really care. I doubt he really has time to just mess around with Apple's latest consumer product.

5. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I heard that Bill prefers THIS: :D (To avoid any confusion, lol, I think 'this' sucks.)

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

WOW.

APPLE - DO THIS PLEASESEEEEEEE

the "tablet" side of things SUCKS though! how ugly and slow...UGH.

7. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Hilarious to hear him talk about what he thinks is "mainstream" and what is not. Let's see, Apple sold about 500,000 iPads in the first couple weeks it was out (and are predicted to sell well over 10 million in the next year), MS sold how many Windows tablets in the last 10 years? Anyone? Anyone? But yeah, let's talk about "scenarios".

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

did you see that thing? laptop + tablet.. its cool dont you think?

9. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

They've got the form factor down and the battery doesn't sound bad (though not as good as the iPad's), but the controls look clunky. Interface looks nice, but he's scrolling slowly intentionally and it STILL looks unresponsive and slow.

The iPad may not do everything everyone wants it to do, but it does most of what most people want it to do, and it does it INCREDIBLY well. I have yet to come across a touch screen as responsive and fast as the iPhone/iPod interface.

10. Elise macrumors 6502

It's a very cool concept, but it looked a bit laggy to me though and not as responsive to me as the iPad.

11. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

@ Bergefan Not gonna lie, I have not had any interest in anything related to windows (Windows phone series 7 gave a quick, slight tingle), but that Lenovo looks pretty darn cool. Def looks like it won't have even close to the snappiness of the iPad though.

12. GamecockMac macrumors 6502a

GamecockMac

$1000 for something that tries to be a tablet and a laptop, but will likely suck at both?

No thanks.

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

its the concept that is amazing. admit it ;)

14. ethical macrumors 68000

Concept is amazing yes. Mainly the Intel processor running W7 in the keyboard attachment. But even if it had an apple logo on it, as it is, I wouldn't buy it.

15. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

16. kultschar macrumors 6502a

With all that Monopoly and money, MS really did stuff up in my opinion. I mean Windows ME, Windows Vista :D

17. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

Wirelessly posted (nokia e63: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaE63-1/100.21.110; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

seriously? I reckon they could attach the p8400 into it. No battery life, but one powerful device!

18. VladM macrumors regular

Lol at the comments in this thread. Gates' comments "irrelevant"? LOL.

19. icanhazipad? macrumors member

WTB Macbook Pro w/ removable iPad as screen - Will pay royally.

no but seriously, the lenovo is a pretty darn good idea. I'd buy one if windows didn't suck so bad...

btw: after the first hands on with a HP slate, the reviewers from conecti.ca said, meh... so the slate will still fail there Billy boy... Just like the iTouch did and always will pwn the zune, Iphone OS pwns Winmo, etc...

Engadget : HP Slate... Meh

20. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

MS doesn't make tablets (yet). They make software. Bill prefers the netbook form. 2008: 14.6 to 16.4 million netbooks(mini-notes) were sold. 2009: 33.9 Million. 2010: 39.7 Million (predicted). I guess Bill is right so far.

21. mullman macrumors 6502

mullman

That looks so awful, I laughed.

22. ethical macrumors 68000

I said I wouldn't buy it as it is. Stick more power in it and it's a whole different ball game :p

23. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

I still want one of those new ipad thingys that are coming out from apple soon. Gonna be great when they come out. Gonna be real nice to see one of them.

Damn I hate living in Europe right now :(

24. windroll macrumors member

microsoft made this back in early 2007 I think, before iphone 1st gen announcement, which at the time I thought was amazing, the downside is it's way too expensive to be practical for everyday consumer, you can only see these tables in today's 5 stars hotels around the world.

and in 2008 CES they improved it a little more. I think due to the not so successful of Window's mobile phone, we'll probably never gonna see this anytime soon. However, technology within 10 years is going to be nuts, at least mouse device will slowly fade out replaced by multi-touch screen/surface. :)

25. beachnbum macrumors newbie

beachnbum

I'd be willing to bet the iPad will cannibalize that 2010 number (39.7 million) back down to the 2009 (33.9 million) figure. The iPad will total around 10 million for 2010 units. And so on in 2011.

imho.

edit:

Oh yeah, one more thing: Bill Gates on MY iPad is decidedly NOT OK.