/bin/csh

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by adamman41, Oct 13, 2007.

1. adamman41 macrumors regular

/bin/csh

/bin/chmod -Rf a+x /Applications/*

what do these actually do, and how do u do them and when? thanks

2. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

/bin/csh will launch an interactive csh shell session (the default being bash). If you don't know what this means there's pretty much zero chance that you would ever need to run this.

The second command will change the unix permissions on all the files in your Applications folder and there's virtually no situation I can envision where it would be a good idea to do it. It doesn't appear to be a malicious command, but anyone who has suggested that you run that command is misguided at best.

What's the context for your question?

3. WILLDOGS macrumors regular

Running the two above commands using putty was the ONLY way that I could get my apps working on the touch. It took me a while to figure out, but it worked :)

Those two commands are park of the jailbrake, they are one of the steps involved to get everything working. It is in a few of the tutorials if you look around.

4. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

Ah, that makes sense, then. Ignore my previous advice. :)

The chmod command looks like it's probably overkill, and you're flagging many more files +x than need to be, but there's usually no significant harm in that. It's sloppy, though.

5. parrotheadmjb macrumors 6502

sloppy, but its easier that specifying for each application

6. adamman41 thread starter macrumors regular

I used touchfree to jailbreak, at no time did iever manually type that in but all my apps work fine, the reason i ask is they r saying u need to do it to use summerboard but am i ok since all my other apps r perfectly fine right now?