Binaries killed by signal 9 on Yosemite

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by FangQ, Nov 15, 2014.

1. FangQ macrumors newbie

hi everyone

I have compiled a set of binaries on previous versions of Mac (mostly OSX 10.6) with gcc/g++ using static linking, and thought that these binaries will be supported in the future versions of Mac. However, several users of my software package reported failure on Yosemite. They received "killed 9" error and the binaries can not be started. I haven't upgraded my Mac to Yosemite. Wondering if anyone can provide any insight what might be wrong.

One sample binary can be downloaded from this link:

http://sourceforge.net/p/iso2mesh/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/iso2mesh/bin/cgalmesh.mex maci64?format=raw

this file is actually a native executable compiled on Mac for x86_64 processors. If you run

file cgalmesh.mexmaci64

you will see "cgalmesh.mexmaci64: Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64". The output of "otool -L cgalmesh.mexmaci64" shows it is a statically linked executable.

However, when you run it, it is immediately killed by the OS. This only happens on Yosemite.

Does anything know what might be wrong?

thanks

2. briloronmacrumo macrumors 6502

briloronmacrumo

Link is DOA here.
    Is there anything in the Console log beyond the kill 9 message? When you say "run it", how is it launched ( i.e. double click from Finder, via property list/launchd )? Any Finder messages displayed to user? If launch services is issuing a kill 9 there is something wrong. Yosemite( starting with 10.9.5 ) requires version 2 cryptographic signatures. If you haven't upgraded them and depending on user preferences, it should generate a Finder dialog.

FWIW: you can also check the binaries and/or .a files with:

lipo -info path_to_your_binary

or

otool -hv path_to_your_binary