Bing iAd randomly popping up video screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tigress666, Mar 1, 2011.

1. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Ok, so I don't normally object to ads on an app if I am getting it for free. I feel it is a fair trade off.

iAds seemed nice to me cause you could click on the ad and not get kicked out of the program. Hey, get an interesting ad to me maybe I'll check it out.

But... apparently iAds also allows for ads to forcibly pull up windows on you randomly. Well, at least they seem to be allowing Bing to do this (I've noticed this on two games, Traffic Panic and Hungry Shark 1). It pops up a window that then starts loading up a video to show you. It's very disruptive, it's causing me to lose my game cause of popping up in the middle of me doing an action as it seems to do it on a timed basis, doesn't even wait until I lose a game or am at a rest point (which is annoying as hell and no, it doesn't make me want to use Bing, ******* off Microsoft. What an annoying ad strategy! If I ever was curious about Bing, I'm frikkin boycotting it now for your annoying advertising tactic).

Anyways, I never heard of iAds having the function of literally a pop up window that just pops up on its own (and I know I'm not hitting the ad as it is placed on the top and I'm hitting the bottom of the screen on the first game I noticed it). If this is going to become common, I see it as a great way of a game encouraging you to go ahead and buy it just to get rid of the annoying ad (great for the game makers, sucky for us who didn't mind before the trade off of ads for free game. And really sucky if the game maker decides to make you pay and still display ads!).

Anyways, if this is true or becomes a trend (besides bing), I could see having iAds all the sudden be a reason not to get a program.

2. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

are you sure it's iAd and not admob? an iAd will say iAd in the bottom right corner of the ad.

3. tigress666 thread starter macrumors 68040

It very definitely says iAd on the bottom (plus it has the cleaner look that iAds seem to have). And it's always the Bing ad that is showing when it pops up stuff.

4. tigress666 thread starter macrumors 68040

Oh, and I'll add that apparently sometimes when you get the Bing pop up in Hungry Shark, it causes a glitch that forces your joystick to get stuck in whatever direction you were last telling it to before the ad popped up.

Plus, it popped up literally every 5 seconds in that game. I even tried watching it all the way through to see if some how it had a trigger of once you watch it it leaves you alone. 2-5 seconds later, it popped up again!!!

5. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

If i were you, i'd tell the developer. The developer can actually make that ad not work. he can use bing as a word to limit what ad's appear. He may do it, but may not. i've not seen the ad, so i can't help much. maybe post a screen shot of it so we can see.

also, if you want a work around... turn on airplane mode and the ad can't be filled.