Bing Maps on iOS 6 - best post google solution

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by dreamover, Sep 25, 2012.

1. dreamover macrumors newbie

After getting completely lost in Atlanta over the weekend with the new maps upgrade, i've been trying to find a good solution when apple maps doesn't cut it. I live in Chicago and always relied on the transit directions. I've downloaded the Bing app and have been using the maps for a couple days now and it's pretty fantastic. Just sharing if you haven't thought of trying it. It's free too.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bing/id345323231?mt=8

2. Ripcord macrumors newbie

Where did you get lost in Atlanta? It's been flawless for me.

3. dreamover thread starter macrumors newbie

there were two times i was looking for places by name and two points showed up on the map, a mile apart on the same street even though they were the same exact address. i took a cap to one of the cross streets, couldn't find the place and realized i was at the wrong area.

even if i search for points of interest in my area in chicago, the pin drops blocks away.

but it is mostly useful for the transit directions.

i don't think apple maps is all bad and look forward to its improvements. i just think the bing app is closer to familiarity.

4. dowser81 macrumors newbie

why not just save a google maps icon to your homescreen and bam google maps app simples

5. dreamover thread starter macrumors newbie

i can't be the only one that notices a difference between using a google maps app and using google maps through safari. it doesn't route directions the same way (it gives you a list), it's much slower when finding your locations and half the time buttons don't do what you want them to do.

6. aerove macrumors 6502

aerove

funny story, i entered apple store lenox mall in the maps and it was routing me to some other location.. lol !

7. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

Not quite the same as the app, at least in what I have experience...Even on LTE, the GPS dot moves along at a choppy pace...I haven't had any issues with Apple Maps at this point and actually like the turn by turn a lot.

8. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

Yikes, Atlanta is not a good town to get lost in. Lots of ghetto people there...be careful.

9. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

What is a "ghetto" person?

10. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

Google is your friend. Use it.

11. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

It was a rhetorical question (google "rhetorical" if you don't know what that means).

Just seemed like a crappy response.

12. ITS ME DAVID macrumors 6502

13. wmmf macrumors member

Why don't we get to down-vote anymore?!

14. mw360 macrumors 65816

mw360

Where's the part where you got completely lost?