Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dreamover

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
After getting completely lost in Atlanta over the weekend with the new maps upgrade, i've been trying to find a good solution when apple maps doesn't cut it. I live in Chicago and always relied on the transit directions. I've downloaded the Bing app and have been using the maps for a couple days now and it's pretty fantastic. Just sharing if you haven't thought of trying it. It's free too.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bing/id345323231?mt=8

dreamover

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
there were two times i was looking for places by name and two points showed up on the map, a mile apart on the same street even though they were the same exact address. i took a cap to one of the cross streets, couldn't find the place and realized i was at the wrong area.

even if i search for points of interest in my area in chicago, the pin drops blocks away.

but it is mostly useful for the transit directions.

i don't think apple maps is all bad and look forward to its improvements. i just think the bing app is closer to familiarity.

dowser81

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2012
Bo'ness in Scotland
After getting completely lost in Atlanta over the weekend with the new maps upgrade, i've been trying to find a good solution when apple maps doesn't cut it. I live in Chicago and always relied on the transit directions. I've downloaded the Bing app and have been using the maps for a couple days now and it's pretty fantastic. Just sharing if you haven't thought of trying it. It's free too.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bing/id345323231?mt=8

why not just save a google maps icon to your homescreen and bam google maps app simples

dreamover

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
why not just save a google maps icon to your homescreen and bam google maps app simples

i can't be the only one that notices a difference between using a google maps app and using google maps through safari. it doesn't route directions the same way (it gives you a list), it's much slower when finding your locations and half the time buttons don't do what you want them to do.

aerove

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2007
Atlanta,GA
funny story, i entered apple store lenox mall in the maps and it was routing me to some other location.. lol !

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2011

Not quite the same as the app, at least in what I have experience...Even on LTE, the GPS dot moves along at a choppy pace...I haven't had any issues with Apple Maps at this point and actually like the turn by turn a lot.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
there were two times i was looking for places by name and two points showed up on the map, a mile apart on the same street even though they were the same exact address. i took a cap to one of the cross streets, couldn't find the place and realized i was at the wrong area.

even if i search for points of interest in my area in chicago, the pin drops blocks away.

but it is mostly useful for the transit directions.

i don't think apple maps is all bad and look forward to its improvements. i just think the bing app is closer to familiarity.

Where's the part where you got completely lost?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.