Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Biotechnology company Biogen today announced the launch of a new Apple Watch study in partnership with Apple that is aimed at investigating the role the iPhone and Apple Watch might play in monitoring cognitive performance and screening for decline in cognitive health.

applewatchseroundup.jpg

The multi-year study will launch later this year and will enroll both young and aging adults with a range of cognitive performance. The study's objectives are to find digital biomarkers for helping to monitor cognitive performance over time and identifying early signs of mild cognitive impairment.

Mild cognitive impairment impacts approximately 15 to 20 percent of adults over the age of 64, and the onset of symptoms are often subtle, so it can take months or even years before health care providers become aware of the problem.
"Working in collaboration with Biogen, we hope this study can help the medical community better understand a person's cognitive performance by simply having them engage with their Apple Watch and iPhone," said Jeff Williams, Apple's chief operating officer. "We're looking forward to learning about the impact our technology can have in delivering better health outcomes through improved detection of declining cognitive health."
The study will be privacy-focused with customer control, transparency, and data security in mind. Participants will be offered a detailed consent form listing the data types collected and how that data may be used and shared. Data is stored encrypted and in systems with strong security controls.

Article Link: Biogen Launches Study to Find Out if Apple Watch and iPhone Can Detect Declining Cognitive Health

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
a study should be launched to find out if using Apple products can cause declining cognitive health.
My suspicion is that they do - I think / wait- I'm not sure- what was I saying? - oh never mind

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Can't wait for the government and my insurance company to get ahold of this. Off to the internment camp for me because I'm a danger to society.

Reactions: Orionfox

trhoffmann

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2019
At 69 I will be very interested to participate in this study. I‘ll be interested to see how they measure declining cognition. Some sort of initial test/survey will be needed to establish a baseline, no?

DogHouseDub

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
SF
Biogen? Isn't that the company that hosted the SARS-CoV2 superspreader event in Boston back in February 2020? The same SARS-CoV2 that may cause long-lived cognitive impairment?

williamyx

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2020
Biogen? Isn't that the company that hosted the SARS-CoV2 superspreader event in Boston back in February 2020? The same SARS-CoV2 that may cause long-lived cognitive impairment?
Nice try, but it was early enough in the pandemic that frankly no one knew what was going on.

Frankly I'm interested in why Biogen in particular is doing this study given that they're not testing any new drugs with this, and not any other researchers.

Reactions: CarlJ

DogHouseDub

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
SF
Nice try, but it was early enough in the pandemic that frankly no one knew what was going on.

Frankly I'm interested in why Biogen in particular is doing this study given that they're not testing any new drugs with this, and not any other researchers.
at the time, many of us (my team in Cambridge included) had cancelled travel and were limiting on site activities. As scientists, we're supposed to know better.

Biogen works in neuroscience - if they can replace standalone wearable motion sensors with a mass-produced device, it would simplify clinical studies.

travelsheep

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2013
It's like screen time stats, but framed as a study: For every 10 hours of TikTok cognitive health goes down 10 points.

Reactions: -DMN-
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.