Biology Extra Credit

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Hummer, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

So, as some of you know I'm failing Advanced Placement Biology. I only need an 82 average this quarter to pass for the year though. So currently I'm trying to think of the biggest extra credit project I can do at the cheapest cost and I was thinking something along the lines of creating a large poster or setting up a website for my Bio teacher.

This would be in addition to passing whatever assignments and tests she gives us. Any ideas or suggestions that come from experience as a high school student. I mean I like my ideas but there are probably some options I'm overlooking.

2. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Why not pick a topic you found interesting for the year and delve a little deeper into the mechanisms or how it affects human disease or something like that? Best thing would be to pick an idea to probe and then figure out what medium (poster, website, presentation, etc.) would be best to present it.

Did anything grab your interest this year?

3. ArmyKnight12 macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

Wait, has the teacher even said you could to extra credit? You better make sure she is allowing you before you put a lot of work into it.

4. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Quit being a little girl and start studying.

You'll be a lot better off doing that than wasting your time doing some stupid extra credit project.

5. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I took AP Bio last year.

I suggest you spend more time studying than coming up with silly projects.

What ever your project is, make sure its something that you don't understand well rather than something you know very well. Functions of the organelles or something or mitosis are so simple you should stay away from that. I know for me the Krebs cycle confused the $*% out of me.

Do something that shows the teacher you are trying to learn things you struggle with. Also, go for extra help, that automatically has the teacher up your grade a little.

6. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

yeah go in for extra help. teachers always like that. it makes them feel wanted/ needed

7. mgacam2 macrumors regular

mgacam2

Try doing some hard work for a change man. You wont get anywhere without it. I used to be a failure of a student too, now I'm on on my way to a business degree and an MBA. WORK MAN WORK!

8. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

You're lucky to get such good advice - skip the flash and stick to the core Biology. I'll assume that you don't have a CEQ8000/enzymes/thermocycler at your school - so I guess you'll be limited in what you can do. Here is a suggestion, if you want one - do a survey of the plant community in three (or more) of the parks in the city to see if there is any difference. Pick five 20 m2 plots at random in each park and determe the types of plants in each plot.

9. Hummer thread starter macrumors 65816

Hummer

Well I plan on working, but I'd also like something to supplement my assignments and all of that. I have 14 days left in the quarter with only one quiz so far. There is so much I can screw up on and so much that can help me.

I like the plan project idea. And I think she'd like it just to see that I took my free time and turned it into Bio time.

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

better make sure she will allow the xc......

i know as a student, i hated how some students were able to deviate from the syllabus and get bonus points to help grade...

college does not allow extra credit for the most part so youre gonna have to get used to it

11. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

An extra credit project won't help or be easy to do if you don't understand the biological theories and concepts behind it.

Which you're lacking.
    You should study.