Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rossip

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
BioShock 2 is out, to those that have purchased it, how does it perform? If you could include your system specs and games settings with your post, that would be awesome!

Also, it's disappointing that ATI HD2xxx series are unsupported. To anyone who has an iMac 7,1 or an ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256 MB and bought the game, does the game launch at all? If so, how is the performance? It's not a bad GPU compared to the intel 3000 and the nVidia 320m. This game has a strange requirement cut off point. :(

Thanks in advance everybody!

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Also, it's disappointing that ATI HD2xxx series are unsupported. ...

It's not a bad GPU compared to the intel 3000 and the nVidia 320m. This game has a strange requirement cut off point. :(

The AMD HD2xxx series is missing a feature that is pretty critical in getting performance in OpenGL inside the Unreal engine. We did not want to drop support for any card but without the driver or the hardware feature we needed supporting that card was not feasible.

I think the game might still draw using software fallback but it likely will be very slow. I honestly don't know how or if it will work, I have not tried the final version of the game on a HD2000 series card.

Edwin

radiobrennt

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2012
It actually works very well, much better than I expected. Standard settings are middle for object and texture details, Vsync, AA and Postprocessing enabled. That works very smooth, I disabled those last 3 options and went for high settings in both object and texture details. Still playable, I would guess 20-25 fps.
Out of curiosity eddieduck, which setting are you guys missing? And thanks for answering questions here, I appreciate it.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
It actually works very well, much better than I expected. Standard settings are middle for object and texture details, Vsync, AA and Postprocessing enabled. That works very smooth, I disabled those last 3 options and went for high settings in both object and texture details. Still playable, I would guess 20-25 fps.
Out of curiosity eddieduck, which setting are you guys missing? And thanks for answering questions here, I appreciate it.

On Snow Leopard it depends on the card, some cards have a the odd setting disabled due to the OS not supporting the required feature. This is why in the end we decided to not officially support Snow Leopard as it was missing too many features which impacted on the experience.

On Lion we support everything if you have a high end machine. Some of the subtle DX11 features (I think related to Fog effects) are not fully supported due the OpenGL Library we use on the Mac.

We did spend quite a long time optimising the game so it should perform well on a wide array of Mac's from none gaming Intel HD3000 up to the AMD 6770 in the current iMac.

Cheers,

Edwin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.