BIOSHOCK crashing every 10-15min!

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by peete, Aug 11, 2011.

1. peete macrumors newbie

Hey everybody!

Got the mac version of Bioshock. It is incredible- i'm not very far yet but i'm hooked-

Unfortunately, I can only play for about 10-15min, sometimes less, until my whole computer goes black and shuts itself down.

Here are my macbook pro's specs. It seems i meet all the requirements:

OS X 10.6.8
    2.33 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    3 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    ATI Radeon X1600

I'm very new to gaming on my mac, does anybody know what the issue could be? I saw an amazon review for the game where they said the same thing happens to them, but after much googling, i can't seem to find any solution-

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it a lot!!! Can't wait to play more!!

Thanks,

peete

2. Mr.C macrumors 601

What are the system requirements for the game ? At an educated guess I would say it's an issue with your video card. If I'm not mistaken the X1600 is fairly low end and either may not be supported or if it is then it has issues with the game.

3. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

Feral Interactive does provide support for their software. You should also try contacting them directly.

4. edddeduck macrumors 68020

edddeduck

There are no known issues with BioShock on your hardware although your machine is the minimum specification that supports the game. I would make sure you are playing with the settings turned down but if you still have problems contact Feral support and we can have a look into it.

With the thousands of users playing BioShock you will always have one or two who might have a crash due to specific setup issues on their machine this is usually permissions or damaged OS in some way.

If you contact support we can have a look into your case but it sounds like something in your installation is none standard be that a deliberate setup choice or something damaged deep in the OS.

Edwin

5. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Check your heat and your ram.

Make sure your GPU isn't getting into the nineties(Celsius) when under load, because that can cause a system shutdown like you described -- despite some of the odd ones on this site that believe that's normal.

Run an "extensive" hardware memory test using the DVD that came with your Mac.

My previous MacBook Pro -- which I got from a friend -- is the same model as yours. My wife is using it now. It shipped with one bad memory module, which at first caused no problems. Then a few months in Warcraft 3 started crashing, then months later the system started crashing like crazy.

That system-- like every MacBook portable I've owned -- also ran hotter than a mofo before installing Fan Control and bumping my RPM up to about 2500. This is not the SMC fan program, it works better on these systems. Your MacBook Pro's CPU under heavy load shouldn't get higher than the sixties(Celsius).

If your system is truly running cool and there are no problems with your memory whats so ever. So you've run the extensive hardware test and even physically pulled out the individual chips and tested one at a time. Then there could be an issue with the power supply on the system.

6. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Yup, heat.

Try elevating the back of the macbook pro higher than the front on either a cheap laptop stand or similar - to allow circulation under the device. It will be interesting to see if that remedies the situation.