Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Now every year the CPU/GPU is "2X, 3X, 4X" faster than the one before it.

Shouldn't that mean we'd have at LEAST PS3/XBOX360 quality in our phones? Nope. We are still severely limited by three things:

HEAT, Space, and Power Consumption

:D

I have not been following spec. news a lot lately, but last I heard that the CPU/GPU jumps were much bigger in the 90's than in 2010's, this is why you the difference between ps3->p4 is not as big as the difference between SNES-> Dreamcast , although the time difference is about the same between these consoles.

As for heat, space, and power consumption I thought that was part of the technology advancement. Newer tech can produce similar results with LESS heat, space , and power consumption. Again, this is why my small iphone can output better graphics than a Dreamcast, which was a complete console with its own controllers, GPU, CPU, power supply... etc.

I don't expect my iphone to outperform a ps3, but its significantly less powerful. From the looks of the Bioshock game, the game looks even worse than if it was ported to a ps2 which is 13 year old hardware. In comparison, this is like PSP giving NES graphics level :eek:

Thanks, and I appreciate your replies

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
I agree entirely on the power/heat/etc., but I meant more innovation, not just more powerful CPUs/GPUs, etc. Things like when the iPhone 4 added a front facing camera, etc. Maybe with the new iPhones coming out and all this health stuff, this will be the next thing. I'm interested as I recently started tracking things like BP, my runs/splits etc.

However, I don't want to take this topic more off-track than I already have, so:

Bioshock -- if you're going to play this and never have before, don't look this game up so much, as you may spoil the ending. Nice little twist at the end. :)

plasticparadox

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2003
Just a heads up. I skimmed through Touch Arcade's review just now and they did confirm it is MFi controller compatible...

http://toucharcade.com/2014/09/03/bioshock-review/

The Logitech PowerShell that I have is a basic profile MFi controller without analog sticks. The extended profile controllers like the Stratus and the Moga are possibly working? That's the only thing that I can think of.

And you're right, Googling "bioshock ios mfi" does bring up confirmation from various sources that there is compatibility.

Thank you for following up. I realise that this topic is not of interest to most but personally I bought the both PowerShell and the BioShock game with the understanding that they were compatible so this is somewhat of a disappointment for me as well. Hopefully this isn't an issue of fragmentation with the different MFi controllers.

If you could try your Stratus with the game and let us know if it works and how it feels, that would be great.

Thanks again.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
The Logitech PowerShell that I have is a basic profile MFi controller without analog sticks. The extended profile controllers like the Stratus and the Moga are possibly working? That's the only thing that I can think of.

And you're right, Googling "bioshock ios mfi" does bring up confirmation from various sources that there is compatibility.

Thank you for following up. I realise that this topic is not of interest to most but personally I bought the both PowerShell and the BioShock game with the understanding that they were compatible so this is somewhat of a disappointment for me as well. Hopefully this isn't an issue of fragmentation with the different MFi controllers.

If you could try your Stratus with the game and let us know if it works and how it feels, that would be great.

Thanks again.

Sorry for the late reply. I actually don't own the game so I can't test it unfortunately. But I think you're probably right about the basic MFi layout not being supported, which really brings up an annoying issue of fragmentation, if true.

Anyway, I already own this game on my Mac but as I mentioned earlier, I was interested in iCloud saves. If it had iCloud saves, I'd definitely get buy this again (but probably wait for a sale.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.