Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
I just read on the 9to5 Mac article that Clash in the Clouds is supposed to be available at launch? I picked up a season pass way back when it first came out, but don't see it available. Also, I seem to recall Blayr saying that it wouldn't be available on the day of release, but shortly thereafter.

Did 9to5 Mac just get it wrong or am I missing something?

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
I just read on the 9to5 Mac article that Clash in the Clouds is supposed to be available at launch? I picked up a season pass way back when it first came out, but don't see it available. Also, I seem to recall Blayr saying that it wouldn't be available on the day of release, but shortly thereafter.

Did 9to5 Mac just get it wrong or am I missing something?

Columbia's Finest is available at launch. Clash in the Clouds is in approval with partners right now, so we expect to be live on 09/12.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
Columbia's Finest is available at launch. Clash in the Clouds is in approval with partners right now, so we expect to be live on 09/12.

Awesome! Thanks for the update, Blair! Awesome job on this port by the way. On my iMac, it runs better than in Windows and having controller support out of the box is great as well. Couldn't be happier and I'm already on my second playthrough since the Mac release 2 days ago!

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
Awesome! Thanks for the update, Blair! Awesome job on this port by the way. On my iMac, it runs better than in Windows and having controller support out of the box is great as well. Couldn't be happier and I'm already on my second playthrough since the Mac release 2 days ago!

Thanks blasto!!! I can honestly say this is one of those games where the second playthrough is the best. You pick up on all the little things the second time around.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
Thanks blasto!!! I can honestly say this is one of those games where the second playthrough is the best. You pick up on all the little things the second time around.

Oh, it's probably my 4th or 5th overall. Going for 1999 mode this time :D

I wish I could say I waited for the Mac release, but I caved on the original launch day and actually installed a Bootcamp partition solely for it. However, you guys do such great work that I will wait in the future to support your efforts. Same for Feral.

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
Oh, it's probably my 4th or 5th overall. Going for 1999 mode this time :D

I wish I could say I waited for the Mac release, but I caved on the original launch day and actually installed a Bootcamp partition solely for it. However, you guys do such great work that I will wait in the future to support your efforts. Same for Feral.

Haha! Awesome! Good luck on 1999, it's no joke.

Thanks for the support, but never feel bad about not waiting! While we have gotten really close to PC ship dates in our recent releases with some being simultaneous, BI took us 5 months. Our first DX11 code base to work with, so this one was a challenge. Now we have solid footing underneath us however, and you can expect sim-ship or close to it on the DLC's :D

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
Will Mavericks allow for easier/faster porting? Not just of DX11 code but in general.

Likely no. In fact, it will be more challenging and time consuming up front (at least from a QA perspective). I've never seen a OS launch that didn't usher in a whole new set of bugs with it.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
Haha! Awesome! Good luck on 1999, it's no joke.

Thanks for the support, but never feel bad about not waiting! While we have gotten really close to PC ship dates in our recent releases with some being simultaneous, BI took us 5 months. Our first DX11 code base to work with, so this one was a challenge. Now we have solid footing underneath us however, and you can expect sim-ship or close to it on the DLC's :D

One last question regarding the DLC: if we purchased a Season Pass back on the original release date, will we need to re-purchase the DLC or will it be Steamplay compatible like the main game? Thanks!

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Likely no. In fact, it will be more challenging and time consuming up front (at least from a QA perspective). I've never seen a OS launch that didn't usher in a whole new set of bugs with it.

When Mountain Lion came out I waited for 10.8.2 before I would upgrade. By then everything I owned was working and a lot of stuff fixed.

I'm thinking 10.9.2 will probably be a good idea as well. We'll see how things go. ;)

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
One last question regarding the DLC: if we purchased a Season Pass back on the original release date, will we need to re-purchase the DLC or will it be Steamplay compatible like the main game? Thanks!

Season Pass is also SteamPlay and will totally work for you when the next DLC comes out. I've got a request in with the Valve folks to get the SteamPlay logo placed on the Season Pass page.

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
Season Pass is also SteamPlay and will totally work for you when the next DLC comes out. I've got a request in with the Valve folks to get the SteamPlay logo placed on the Season Pass page.

Just a quick question regarding the DLCs, will they be available for purchase on the Mac App Store, too?:)

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
Looks like Clash in the Clouds was quietly released via Steam for the Mac today. I saw a small update install itself last night, but didn't think to look. The Verge reports that the Mac App Store version is coming at a later, unspecified date.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Will Mavericks allow for easier/faster porting? Not just of DX11 code but in general.

Amen to that! New OpenGL support and brand new OS usually means more work at the beginning not less as we work through the new bugs and side effects a new OS always brings to the party. :)

As for the new OpenGL features in 10.9 these bring the Mac to (almost but still missing some features) DX11 levels from a DX9+ level. So it's not a case of making porting easier but a case of keeping up with improvements on other platforms. Without support for these newer features porting games to the Mac would become harder and harder as the original games used more and more modern features.

Edwin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.