BioShock Infinite - Irrational Games secret project revealed, coming 2012

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by SevenInchScrew, Aug 12, 2010.

1. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

[​IMG]

Today, Irrational Games finally revealed the secret project they've been working on for the last 3 years. It looks quite amazing. The game takes place in 1912, in the flying city of Columbia. You play the part of Booker DeWitt, who is trying to rescue a woman named Elizabeth. The trailer is available on the teaser site, and it looks really interesting. I'm very excited for this one.

{Click for larger}
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

{Official website with trailer}
    http://www.bioshockinfinite.com/main.php

2. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Now this looks like the Bioshock sequel they should have made in the first place!!

Just can't get myself to buy Bioshock2 for some reason...I think I'll go straight to this one!

3. ManhattanPrjct macrumors 6502

I guess real estate under the ocean became too expensive and they decided to lease air-rights instead.

4. SevenInchScrew thread starter macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

Depends on what you liked from the first one. BioShock 2 was a better "game" to play, as the shooting and plasmid mechanics were refined a little bit, and it had a little more variety in the action. But, if you liked the story, and creepy pacing and atmosphere from the first one, BS2 was not as good. Though, it could just be the fact that experiencing Rapture for the first time in BioShock 1 was so amazing, it was kind of impossible for BioShock 2 to live up to it. But really, it was a good game. If you find it on sale anywhere, it is still very worth playing.
    I hate to be a buzzkill on your joke, but this game takes place in 1912, about 30-40 years before the events of Rapture.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Just about the only thing I liked about Bioshock was the setting!

6. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Right on the money! :)

It's not a matter of money, really - the game's cheap enough in most stores already. Mostly a matter of time. Though I do also find it hard to justify spending money on something, which I feel I "basically" already own. Bioshock is all the Rapture experience I need.

7. SevenInchScrew thread starter macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

Understandable. The game, as fun as it was, played very similarly to the first. So yea, even with all the slight changes and what not, you would be having major deja vu.

8. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Ugh, I just now caught this little detail. That's gonna be a long wait! I'm really liking the look of this game.

9. SevenInchScrew thread starter macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

*cough* thread title *cough* ;)

10. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Ah yes...I guess I was just too excited about a new Bioshock game that's not "even more Rapture" to notice anything else! :D

11. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Fresh and engaging! So many interesting elements crammed in there. Going to be less moody that the earlier games which many 'shockers might not like, but a change is always good to keep the boredom at bay.

Can we fly with roses or what? :eek:

12. SevenInchScrew thread starter macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

13. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

Nooooooooooo! The second one wasn't the same experience as the first but it's 100% no doubt worth a playthrough at least. the multiplayer is so different and crazy that i couldn't stop playing for weeks after it came out. it's worth it if you liked the first one.

14. DdMac679 macrumors member

DdMac679

The MP sucked for BS2, but I did like the SP.

15. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I go away for a week and miss this huh?

Kind of disappointed. I was hoping Levine and co. would do something drastically new and different. I bet this will be fantastic, then spawn a crappy sequel that will tarnish the brand.

Hopefully they can imprve the combat from Bioshock, which was easily mastered with shock + wrench.

16. SevenInchScrew thread starter macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

I just hope the "BioShock" name isn't being tacked on by the marketing department just to generate extra buzz for the game. I'm hoping there will be an actual connection to the world of Rapture, or Andrew Ryan, or something. The game itself though, I think looks really interesting, and I'm quite excited to see what comes of it.

17. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    Why should the Bioshock moniker be connected to Andrew Ryan or Rapture? It is more connected to the plasmids.

18. SevenInchScrew thread starter macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

To me, the all-encompassing theme of both original BioShock games is the world of Rapture, in which the plasmids are only a small part as a whole. You have Ryan, Rapture, Big Daddies, Little Sisters, Splicers, Tennenbaum, etc. All of the "BioShock" games had all of those things in common, not just plasmids. And really, going by the lore in the game, the plasmids themselves were engineered by Ryan Industries, thus connecting him just as much as the plasmids themselves.

Think of it like Halo. The Halo games aren't just the story of Master Chief. They are the story of the Forerunners, the Covenant, ONI and the UNSC, the Flood, the Spartan program, the Halo rings, etc. So while Chief, like the plasmids, plays a large role in a few of the games and books, he isn't all that the entire story and its lore is all about.

Which is why, to me, I hope there is some connection to those original games and their world, and not just a name. If it turns out that putting "BioShock" in the name of a game and using plasmid-type mechanics ends up being like putting the "Final Fantasy" name and RPG elements in a game, I will be very sad.