Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rossip

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2011
The steam version crashes on launch on my iMac7,1. The Bioshock infinite game icon appears briefly in the dock, then disappear and an apple crash report pops up. My iMac7,1 is running 10.8.4, verifying the game cash did not fix the problem.

Can anyone else confirm this?

bkar89

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2012
Norway
Anyone tested this on a 15" rMBP? The windows version runs pretty solid, but Mac ports usually gets a pretty nasty performance hit...

Perfect Score

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2013
Toronto Canada
This is good news. Though I'm always weary of big games on Macs. The only exception is probably Marathon WAYYYYY back when :D

I could see performances suffering on laptops. These games are massive resource sinks.

Good on 2K for making a speedy port though. I remember it took almost a year for GTA Vice City to get to PCs.

duderman67

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2013
Anyone tested this on a 15" rMBP? The windows version runs pretty solid, but Mac ports usually gets a pretty nasty performance hit...

On my rMBP 15 mid 2012 with 2.6 Ghz i7 and 8GB RAM it goes pretty well on high quality on 1440:900 = 30-40 fps. Unfortunately, 1440:900 is the biggest available resolution.

Sorry for my bad English

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
What's with the 10.8 requirement, shouldn't that be 10.7 ? Some of us who meet all the requirements except the 10.8 OS are being left out again not because we refuse to upgrade bit because Apple has excluded our systems.

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
Should I try it?

I played the game for an hour (thanks playstation plus) and was really turned off. Early in the game I was given a silly choice and after I insulted the culture of the people I was visiting (because apparently their culture is backward) they react by wanting to take me into custody. I suppose that is fair, I think their society is unjust and they think I am a foreigner questioning their morals. So I am about to be taken away which I think is a fair moral choice but instead I start killing all the cops of the city I am visiting for the crime of arresting me. I played beyond that and it turned into a pretty typical shooter with my killing dozens of poor cops for the injustice of their trying to maintain order in the society they had constructed.

I play a lot of violent games so that does not bother me much, what bothered me was the protagonist's and thereby my absolutely absurd moral position of mowing down fathers and husbands because I thought I should not be taken into jail. I am essentially a petty criminal who is on a violent mass murder rampage. It's really impossible to view the enemies as the bad guy and really feels like I was the bad guy.

So after all that, does it get better? The gameplay was so so and the story seemed trite and gratuitously violent without any justification for my killing off the poor backward townsfolk. I loved Bioshock 1 and 2, but the vibe I got from the game was that Levine now feels he is a deep philosopher and must be trying to set up what he thinks is a moral lesson by turning me into a murderer. Does it get better?

WMD

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
Florida, USA
What's with the 10.8 requirement, shouldn't that be 10.7 ? Some of us who meet all the requirements except the 10.8 OS are being left out again not because we refuse to upgrade bit because Apple has excluded our systems.
There were speed improvements in the OpenGL drivers with 10.8. I guess they want to make sure the game runs fast enough. (Even then, performance will probably still be way lower than on Windows.)

Treq

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
Good on 2K for making a speedy port though. I remember it took almost a year for GTA Vice City to get to PCs.

No. Not speedy. It took months. The Mac version should have been released at the same time as the windows version. I had to play it through windows when it first came out.

IraeDeorum

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2006
Graphics Problems

Anybody download this from the app store and have graphics limited to "Normal" and under as well as a limited screen resolution? And any workaround for this? I have an iMac with an ATI Radeon HD 5750, so I would think I could play at higher quality than that... any thoughts?

JronMasteR

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2011
Switzerland
Anybody download this from the app store and have graphics limited to "Normal" and under as well as a limited screen resolution? And any workaround for this? I have an iMac with an ATI Radeon HD 5750, so I would think I could play at higher quality than that... any thoughts?

Yeah, same here. I'm on a Mac Pro and have the Steam version.

DJJAZZYJET

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
That's funny. You will most likely need at least a dedicated GPU to get the most out of this game. Depends greatly on what you are expecting. Low shaders and shadows, effects on low, and res under 1280 and the Air can probably pull it off ~30FPS give or take the Mac port losses. It looks to be unplayable on anything but the very lowest settings on even the better optimized Windows systems.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-5000.91978.0.html
Look at the very 1st Game benchmark area.

Hmm strange. This game isn't really that taxing on most systems, although sometimes it can get intense. I would have thought intel hd 5000 would be easily able to handle it as it can handle all AAA titles at playable frame rates at reasonable graphics parameters.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
...it can handle all AAA titles at playable frame rates at reasonable graphics parameters.

That is pretty broad and vague. What's reasonable? 60FPS is my minimum target. Struggling to get 30FPS is not a great experience to me. And I want AA and need to play at 1080p. It can't do many AAA games like that. It can do DX9 and Valve and Unreal engine stuff but not Metro and Crysis. It tests out slower than cards that can't do those games 'reasonably'. If you read further you would read that others have had great success with this title on HD5000. That is in no way "All AAA titles" though.

armirza

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2013
17 GB?? Woohooo that is actually a big one! But I like the name already. I am sooooo looking forward to playing it!:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.