Bioshock Infinite on a 27" iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ventuss, Oct 25, 2013.

1. ventuss, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013

ventuss macrumors 6502

There should be a sub forum exclusively for games. Whatever.

I got my new iMac and I'd like to test my GPU performance by playing some graphically intense game. I want to buy Bioshock Infinite, but it only runs at 1600x900, I bet it looks bad on the 27"iMac.. almost half the native resolution. I own it for PS3, so it has be beautiful to justify the price. I have it for PS3, so it has be beautiful to justify the price.

Is there anyone who played it on a 27"iMac and can tell me about it?

2. jordanm86 macrumors regular

I read if you do want to play it on iMac you can apparently edit the config (it is locked to a lower resolution by Aspyr for performance purposes.
    It can be changed here:
    Library/Application Support/Bioshock Infinite/XGame/Config/

More info here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1628665

Also, it appears the move to Mavericks will allow better OpenGL support for games and so any new games produced/ported for Mac should be better :)

3. alvinclub macrumors newbie

I try playing mafia 2 on my new iMac the other day, in performance test it shown that the iMac using inter iris graphic instead of the 780M...:mad:

4. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

I don't play the Mac version - I use bootcamp and play the Windows version, which I run at 2650x1440 on ultra settings and get great performance. This is on a 2012 i5 with the 680MX.

The machine can handle it just fine, but the graphics drivers under OS X leave a bit to be desired - hopefully this has changed for the better in Mavericks; there was talk of major improvements.

5. Sanatogen macrumors member

Sanatogen

There is a sub forum for games already.

I purchased Bioshock Infinite a few weeks ago when Steam had it on a sweet discount sale. It runs great with everything set to max.

6. WilliamG macrumors G3

Bottom line: Play these games in Windows. Frame-rates are exponentially higher, and you'll run into far, far fewer issues.

Currently, bottom line/s:

iMacs are NOT gaming systems.

iMacs running Windows 7/8 are absolutely gaming systems.

This may change with Mavericks, but that's an if and when..

7. fhopper macrumors member

fhopper

I just bought Bioshock 2.
    The program is blowing up every time it tries to load the second segment. I can drain the airlock into the train station then boom.
    27” iMac late 2013
    Software OS X 10.9 (13A603)
    3.5 GHz i7
    32 GB mem
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 780M 4GB VRAM

Please update it soon.

The App store claims you can reload a purchase from the "Purchased" page, how?

8. elithrar macrumors 6502

elithrar

Runs well in Bootcamp on a 27" + 780M iMac @ 1440p with everything turned up and a hefty helping of AA.