Bioshock on ppc

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by AppleFanaddict, Mar 11, 2014.

1. AppleFanaddict macrumors newbie

does anyone know if any of the bioshocks will run on my powermac g5 dual 2.0 ghz with at least 4gb of ram

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

3. ha1o2surfer macrumors 6502

and a GPU.. lol

4. scarmullet macrumors newbie

scarmullet

If you want Bioshock on a PowerPC Platform, get it for the Xbox 360 or the PS3. Both systems are PPC based.

5. ScottishCaptain macrumors 6502a

The Xbox 360 is, as is the Wii and Wii U.

Arguably, the PS3 is not. The PPEs are, but the SPUs aren't. Unfortunately, in order to get decent performance out of that system, you need to take advantage of the entire processor including the SPUs. So it's not strictly a PowerPC system.

Fun fact- the original Xbox 360 (Xenon) developer kits were PowerPC G5 towers with ATI GPUs installed. I've always wondered if these systems were capable of playing retail Xbox 360 games, or if they were just released by Microsoft for developers to get the feel of the PPC architecture.

-SC

6. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

Haha good outside the box thinking there :p

Shocking how well these ancient machines run GTA V so well in 2014! I mean they are not modern pc graphics, but the fact that they look that good and run so well on PowerPC hardware from 2006 with 256MB ram...

----------

What I always wondered was that seeing as these games were already PPC compiled, making the jump to a G5 an porting it to OSX shouldn't be impossible really.

Easier than running a PS2 emulator in windows that needs to emulate a Motorola chip.

7. goMac macrumors 603

The initial Xbox kits were actually Power Mac G5s. You can get a quad core G5 with an X1800XT, and it will roughly be a little more powerful than an Xbox 360.

The biggest problem with the Xbox 360 is it was designed to run games at 720p (with the rare game at 1080p), which is likely quite a bit lower resolution than the display hooked up to a Power Mac. So even all that horsepower won't get you too much.

8. Graveyard, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014

Graveyard macrumors regular

So... Nobody mentions the fact that the bad boy inside the x360 runs on 3 cores, each capable of running 2 threads...
    Enough of this guessing game guys. All that i see here are pure speculations and presumptions. The console is optimized for using the 512MB of ram it was designed with, to their full potential. It's a mixture of good hardware designe and good programming. Do any of you remember the first games that came on the 360? Although they were way cooler than the ones on the first generation Xbox, they can't be compared to the titles we get now at the end of the console's lifecycle. Could you have imagined that you'd get such beautiful graphics out of that aging hardware?
    So let's stop feeding threads like this that only remind of some dude (you know him...) that finally got banned a while ago.

9. deluxeshredder macrumors 6502a

They run it with rather mediocre graphics at 720p at ~25 fps.

10. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

Sure, I'm a pc gamer, I know how bad it looks. But try to run a game like GTA V on even very low settings on most Pc's will warrant awful frame rates well below 25.