Birch or Medium Brown?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by NickD, Jun 7, 2007.

1. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

Totally random, but I'm re-doing my room, and can't chose which IKEA finish to use for the wood: birch or medium brown.

In your opinion, which would look best with my iMac, and what accent colors would you use with each?

NickD

... like i said, totally random ...

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

birch. i'm a fan of the lighter wood colors. it's like having a part of the apple store in your room. :)

3. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Keep in mind that the birch will yellow in time with exposure to sunlight. I'd still choose birch though (my whole place is birch stuff from IKEA)...medium brown is right out, but I do like that chocolately black-brown finish.

4. bartelby macrumors Core

I prefer birch but some of the birch IKEA products are paint, not wood veneer.

5. shecky Guest

shecky

i almost always go black-brown on all Ikea stuff as it makes it look more expensive and of a higher quality than it actually is.

6. NickD thread starter macrumors 6502a

NickD

Really? Do you know which products are actual wood veneer and which aren't?

7. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Price is one sign. Although I haven't noticed any paint-on birch. I've seen solid birch, birch veneer, then cheap birch-a-like stickers (usually on the backs of bookcases or parts of beds that they think you won't notice. If you look closely at the products in the showroom, you'll be able to spot which is which.

8. NickD thread starter macrumors 6502a

NickD

Hmm. OK then. How would it be if I got birch furniture, and then painted the walls chocolate brown, got a chocolate brown bedspread and then accent with some color (suggestion)?

9. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Depends a lot on the lighting and the exact shade of brown...because the wrong brown with the wrong light and you'll end up thinking you live inside a turd cave.

And I wouldn't match the bedspread exactly to the walls...if you go will a cool dark-chocolate for the walls, find a greyish-blue bedspread...if the wall color is warmer, find a warm grey bedspread with some bright green shapes on it.

Take all my color advice with a grain of salt, though, as I currently have white walls and birch furniture with greyscale fabrics.

You might mess around on the kuler to get some prelim color ideas. But since monitor color is a lot different from paint and fabric colors, eventually you'll have to match paint chips and fabric swatches and all that other fun stuff.

10. bartelby macrumors Core

Things like the VIKA AMON table top. Which used to be called birch, is now called birch effect.
    The LACK stuff is the same.

11. aprilgrey34 macrumors member

Definitely birch.

I did not know this! :eek: Something to keep in mind.

Me too! Better than birch!

12. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

It happens slowly...and some of their birch veneers will yellow less/slower than others. It definitely starts to get warmer over time, though...I had a birch BILLY bookcase that had moderate sun exposure...when I moved after two years...the spots where the books had been were a lot lighter than the surfaces that got sun exposure.

13. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

I've always gone with Medium Brown at Ikea- but it really depends on what else is going on in the room.

14. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I thought men just bought whatever no matter what the color (besides bright colors) and wasn't too worried if it matched anything.

15. NickD thread starter macrumors 6502a

NickD

Well then, how's this then. I'll paint one wall chocolate brown (the wall with the desk on it) and then go birch furniture (maybe a Malm twin and a Mikael) and add a grey blue bedspread.

NickD

16. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

That sounds good. Especially if you get the Michael with the bookcase/whiteboard on it. Otherwise break up the chocolate with some B&W photography in brushed aluminum or birch frames. Remember keep the chocolate a dark and cool color, if you have a warmer brown, you'll have to switch the blue-grey to a warmer grey and add in either bright green or a red/orange as the highlight color.

Did you play around with that kuler link above?

17. NickD thread starter macrumors 6502a

NickD

18. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

From the choices in their current selection, that's not bad...the ultimate would be something like this in a darker more-muted blue-gray. If you are really brave you can always try dying those IKEA quilt covers...if you mess up, they are fairly cheap to replace as linens go.

19. NickD thread starter macrumors 6502a

NickD

I'm going to try to find something warmer though because I want a warm chocolatey brown, and don't want the room to feel too cold and harsh.

20. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Remember, the dark chocolate will look warmer in fabrics than on the wall, so maybe go for a lighter color on the wall/walls and then keep the darker colors in the linens. BTW...On the Real World Denver, they had a really cool bedspread that had thick Dark Brown, Tan, White, Light Blue and Dark Blue stripes...I thought it might have been IKEA, but I haven't seen it there. If you can find that, it would be perfect.

21. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

Here

That was when i was planning to fix up my room. Use it for some ideas. Im going to sart the project in about 2 weeks. After vacation.

I like birch. Becasue if you have a dark wood it makes the room the stuff is in seem smaller. If you have light wood it makes everything seem so much more open.

Not to hijake your thread but does anyone know good paint brands and what color would go well with birch items form IKEA? The color should be pastel.

22. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

LOL...between that thread and the other Post your IKEA stuff thread, I'm getting the idea that half my posts may be in IKEA related threads. :eek:

Either Lowes or Home Depot will have tons of color options. Just remember, with pastels and warm colors especially, that the colors will look darker/more vibrant in the room because the walls will play off each other. The smaller the room the more this is a factor.

Remember to primer, and don't tighten your wallet too much for the paint. You don't need the high end stuff, but don't get the low end either. Get the medium octane paint.

23. NickD thread starter macrumors 6502a

NickD

I was just thinking about my choice of bedspread and the single chocolate brown wall. Would the blue-gray-black bedspread clash with the chocolate brown of the wall?

NickD

24. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

First off depends what you mean by chocolate:

More like a cool dark chocolate, cocoa powder, milk chocolate, candybar, or hersey's syrup?

(Note: This is gonna be kinda dangerous, because our monitors are probably calibrated differently).

Attached Files:

25. NickD thread starter macrumors 6502a

NickD

Like the first or the last one, but more like the latter as opposed to the former.