Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
dops7107 said:
I don't think it's too much to worry about - we're better prepared and able to cope than ever - but history tells us that a flu pandemic will happen some time soon. It's almost certain. Best thing to do is avoid people as much as possible once it hits - and if you get it, do the decent thing and try to quarantine yourself :)
Well put. IMHO this is just a great motivation to find a quicker way to making effective vaccines that doesn't rely on fertilized chicken eggs. If we had that capability we'd be even better prepared.

Jesus. Let's not forget that is has been recently demonstrated that the 1918 "Spanish Flu" virus was one of these rare viruses that apparently did hop from bird to human without joining with a human virus first. It does happen and doesn't take 1000s of years.

B

L

Lau

Jaffa Cake said:
I know someone who gave up eating beef during the BSE scare because it 'wasn't safe', but when the scare led to the price of beef being slashed she stocked up her freezer on all the cut price cuts, which she would eat when it was 'safe' again... :D

Genius. How can you argue with that? ;) :D

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
My dad said the only way to catch it was to make out with a duck.

So I'm gonna lay off that for a few weeks.

:(

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
katie ta achoo said:
My dad said the only way to catch it was to make out with a duck. So I'm gonna lay off that for a few weeks.(

Your dad sounds like a wise man. Have you given due considered to the impact that your no duck makeout sessions may have on some of the boys from your high school? Have a heart, Katie ... don't make the boys flap their wings and start quacking all day long.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Deepdale said:
Your dad sounds like a wise man. Have you given due considered to the impact that your no duck makeout sessions may have on some of the boys from your high school? Have a heart, Katie ... don't make the boys flap their wings and start quacking all day long.

Alright, men of MR. Start quacking and flapping your wings!

and my dad has a Ph.D. in neurobiology, so I think I'll believe him.
He's the only male in his family that has a Ph.D. in NOT economics.
What a loser!

/I KEED
//he's paying for college
///which is a degree in...
////ECONOMICS! AAAHAHAH!
/////My Uncle writes as "dr. money" for the singapore newspaper!

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
katie ta achoo said:
my dad ... He's the only male in his family that has a Ph.D. in NOT economics. What a loser!

With your man Greenspan retiring, what are you gonna do? I wonder if this will coincide with an announcement from his wife, NBC correspondent Andrea Mitchell, that she will be leaving the network as well?

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Deepdale said:
With your man Greenspan retiring, what are you gonna do? I wonder if this will coincide with an announcement from his wife, NBC correspondent Andrea Mitchell, that she will be leaving the network as well?

*shrug* I dunno.

Bernanke is pretty cool, though. He wants to wear hawaiian shirts to meetings and he makes horrible jokes! I LOVE IT!

desperate attempt to get back OT:
I hope he doesn't catch bird flu.

Sorry for the hyperbole I was trying to point to the fact that this is unlikely to happen, this virus has been knocking aroung the far east for hlf a decade, and noe its the hot topc, I know it is migrating this year but if it has not evolved into a human pathogen in the overpopulated far east which (no offence) is less developed and less hygenic than the US and europe, why should it mutate now. I am not disputing that it would ravage the world if it every evolved but I am skeptical. Anyway in the UK we have huge standing orders for anti-viral jabs with GSK and others.

Jesus

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
No worries what so ever. I still have my monkey pox vaccine kit which will also work for bird flu.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
rdowns said:
No worries what so ever. I still have my monkey pox vaccine kit which will also work for bird flu.

Hmm...
can I split half of that with ya?
I don't think bird flu and I would get along!

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
Regarding the likelihood of the virus mutating. Granted the bird flu has been kicking around for some time, as you say - so why now? I've been trying to think through the probabilities of this, along the lines of "well it hasn't happened yet, but it will at some point because random events always happen eventually" - but I can't quite reason it. hmmm. However, it may be that certain conditions for this rare event are more suitable than ever in the Far East: ever more dense populations, perhaps climatic variations etc. A flu outbreak is not equally likely year to year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.