Birdwatching

emw

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
11,177
0
Alright, I know just about nothing about birdwatching, but we just put up a bird feeder outside our sunroom, and I'm hoping to catch some nice pics of the birds eating or hanging out.

So far, I've only managed this picture of a sparrow (damn, I need a better zoom lens!). We've had cardinals and, I believe, a finch or two, but haven't been able to get them on camera - too skittish, and I have to be fairly close to get a reasonable picture with the kit lens on my Digital Rebel XT.

Still, anyone else out there have any good bird pictures?

 

iGary

Guest
May 26, 2004
19,583
0
Randy's House
If you really want to be dazzled, go to the Wildlife forums on Fred Miranda - seriously, go now.

There are images there that are just astounding.

We have a feeder similar to yours right outside our window with the same visitors every day -

House finch pair in the morning, house sparrows during the day, gold finches later in the summer, and lately a couple of mockingbirds, which makes me happy. I never try to shoot them because our cat's perch is right underneath the feeder and the birds are fairly timid because of her.

I love birds, they make me happy.
 

emw

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
11,177
0
That's a great shot - I recall seeing it in a different thread. I may have to look into that lens you're using - as I recall, though, it costs about what I paid for my XT! :eek:

But I guess if I really want to be able to explore my photographer side in more detail, I might as well bite the bullet.
 

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
3,054
0
What's Your Favorite Posish
emw said:
That's a great shot - I recall seeing it in a different thread. I may have to look into that lens you're using - as I recall, though, it costs about what I paid for my XT! :eek:

But I guess if I really want to be able to explore my photographer side in more detail, I might as well bite the bullet.

hi, yeah it was actually a different shot of the same thing (but i will let you off ;) )

the lens is cheep for what you get - and considering its actually sharper, cheeper and lighter than the more expensive 70-200s its a total bargain, i wouldnt pay near double for the extra stop of the 2.8 myself - seems pointless for my uses. not many lenses with the optical quality like that
 

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
16,570
0
Both of those bird pictures are very nice, thanks for sharing. Hopefully we will get to see more.

I'm sure that the birds are very appreciative of your bird feeder, emw. ;)
 

emw

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
11,177
0
wdlove said:
I'm sure that the birds are very appreciative of your bird feeder, emw. ;)
Yeah, they've almost emptied it after only about a week. We're going to have a bunch of fat birds flying around :p
 

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
2,251
1
emw said:
That's a great shot - I recall seeing it in a different thread. I may have to look into that lens you're using - as I recall, though, it costs about what I paid for my XT! :eek:

But I guess if I really want to be able to explore my photographer side in more detail, I might as well bite the bullet.
lenses are more important then the camera in many respects ... well ... that's not completely true anymore since camera's built in CCD's or CMOS chips are responsible for capturing the image rather then film

either way ... you could have the top of the line camera but if you out fit it with cheap glass, you won't get better results then a cheap camera with a cheap lens.

personally i think the extra stop of light is fantastic and worth the money it costs .. but that's just me
 

JDar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
528
0
a Grosbeak and a Stellar's Jay in NM

We're overrun with birds in the summer. Taken with a Nikon 990 and a cheap telephoto attachment.
 

Attachments

emw

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
11,177
0
JDar said:
We're overrun with birds in the summer. Taken with a Nikon 990 and a cheap telephoto attachment.
Nice. Is the jay eating a peanut? Wild.
 

oakdryad5

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2005
22
0
New Braunfels, TX
emw said:
too skittish, and I have to be fairly close to get a reasonable picture with the kit lens on my Digital Rebel XT.
How long have you had the feeder out? Over time I have found that the birds become used to the area and are not as skittish when seeing people around as when i first put up the feeder. If you're interested in bird photography, there is a really cool website--www.birdforum.net, free to join and plenty of photography and birding forums.

Here's a halfway decent pic of a carolina wren. I have a panasonic lumix dmc-fz20 with 12x zoom.

-Christine
 

Attachments

emw

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
11,177
0
oakdryad5 said:
How long have you had the feeder out? Over time I have found that the birds become used to the area and are not as skittish when seeing people around as when i first put up the feeder. If you're interested in bird photography, there is a really cool website--www.birdforum.net, free to join and plenty of photography and birding forums.

Here's a halfway decent pic of a carolina wren. I have a panasonic lumix dmc-fz20 with 12x zoom.

-Christine
Nice picture!

We've had the feeder out for about 1 week now, and some of the birds have already become pretty comfortable having us and the dogs around. Others, primarily the finches, still seem very cautious.
 

JDar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
528
0
emw said:
Nice. Is the jay eating a peanut? Wild.
He sure is. The jays will ask for them and get very close to people to pick up peanuts. Every creature here seems to like peanuts.
 

JDar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
528
0
Corvax corvax

This guy is a Chiuauaian raven. Ravens are very intelligent and are about my favorite local big bird with the wild turkey coming in second.
 

Attachments

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
16,570
0
That is a very nice looking turkey that you caught with your motion sensor. Just don't get too close, a turkey bite can be nasty. ;)

Very nice pictures JDar, thank you for posting the pictures.
;)
 

fitinferno

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2005
371
0
London, UK
WOW :) Awesome pictures! Birds are by far my favourite animal (I even love the London pigeons) so this is a great thread. Though I am concerned for the bird that has the peanut in it's mouth...
 

JDar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
528
0
fitinferno said:
WOW :) Awesome pictures! Birds are by far my favourite animal (I even love the London pigeons) so this is a great thread. Though I am concerned for the bird that has the peanut in it's mouth...
Don't be concerned. The jays will choke down three peanuts (carefully evaluating the choices to make sure the best are chosen) then fly to the ground and bury them for later. If he takes only one he'll fly to a tree and peck it open. It's fun to stick a long peanut into a knot hole on the deck railing and watch the jay work to pull it out or eat it there from the top down.

I'll find a local wild turkey to post later. They were around this morning.
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,641
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
JDar said:
Don't be concerned. The jays will choke down three peanuts (carefully evaluating the choices to make sure the best are chosen) then fly to the ground and bury them for later.
Wow! :eek: Nice capture, though! :) Birds are not something I have really tried much with. I should play around with bird photos more.

Christine -- nice wren! Have you tried cropping that picture down a little to tighten up on the lil' guy? The contrast with the skytones is very nice too. :)
 

JDar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
528
0
additional turkeys

Here are some more turkeys in addition to Aeolius's capture. A flock comes through our property usually twice a day (it's almost a game preserve with all the animals including pesky, protected mule-deer.) The turkeys walk around the deck rail hunting peanuts the jays leave and get on the roof, spooking indoor cats.
 

Attachments

JDar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
528
0
virividox, people say the wild turkey is a disappointing meal after being used to the domesticated versions. Still, if one really needed something to eat these would be a better choice than our other pets. :p

Reminds me of a line in a bad tv disaster movie-- "take the dogs, we may need to eat them."

One last bird feeder shot involving a suet feeder and a Nuthatch:
 

Attachments