Birthday coming up, should I get uMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, Jul 30, 2009.

1. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

thinking 13 or 15" if i do, but i dunno.

Already have an early 2008 mbp w/ 15" matte and 4gb ram, hasn't given me too much trouble since i've had it. replaced my mid 2007 santa rosa model that was a lemon with apple care free of charge spring break of 2008.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

If you don't need it wait. Better ones will likely be out when you actually need a new computer.

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Stick with the one you've got. The new ones aren't much more powerful (the low end 13" is actually worse). They also use the same processor as your MBP.

I've got the same MBP and love it too.

The next laptop generation will feature a new line of processors that will supposedly blow the current ones away. Wait until then as you are fine with the one you've got.

4. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

Normally I would argue with the two posters before me. If everyone waited for the new technology to be released a few months down the road then we would all be sitting with cash in hand for years and years and years. It would never end.

But in this case, your current laptop is only a year old with very much the same specs as the new ones. I would definitely wait it out for that reason alone.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say hold off and wait for apple to update the line with the Nehalem Processors. You'll get more bang for your buck.

6. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

When are these Nehalem's supposed to come out?

Isn't Mac Pro already Nehalem? Will speeds on the laptops be the same eventually?

7. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Well the code name for the next line of mobile proccesors is called Arrandale. Arrandale should be released by early next year. So refreshes of Macs should happen around March-June.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The mobile flavor of Nehalem - clarksfield/arrandale. They're due out late 09 early 2010.

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Or given Apple's recent track record with Intel, they will get them early and we will see the updates in February.

10. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Apple has no record of getting mobile processors early (only the Xeon server processors), but that doesn't mean that can't start now.

11. analytical44 macrumors regular

If money is a factor I would reccomend waiting. As others have pointed out, your comp is basically as good as the current models. I chose to get the new 13" now because I have a POS Inspiron that just wan't cutting it anymore. I thought about waiting until the beginning of 2010 to see if new processors were coming out but figured I didn't want to get a rev A anyway. Something you might consider while making your decision.

12. designed macrumors 6502

designed

The only good reason I can think of to change up would be if your current computer didn't match your needs anymore but since it's a matter of going form MBP to MBP, I doubt that's the case either.

I, too, advice waiting, especially if money is an issue (i.e. paying yourself/your family). You only get more/newer for the same value in 6 months or a year on from now.

13. AngryApple macrumors 6502

Do you all think Apple will lower the price of the MacBook Pros when they get refreshed?

14. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

No, they already got price drops. The iMacs are more likely to have price drops.

15. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

$50 here and there, but it's doubtful that the models will all drop, especially with the MacBook being where it is.

16. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

Yes, get a uMBP, you will be VERY satisfied with it. :)

17. AngryApple macrumors 6502

:) Even a little price drop is great for me.

18. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

Computer's are not disposable. Keep your early 2008. My mid 2004 Powerbook lasted almost 6 years.

19. Tamarindo macrumors newbie

Arandale i7, i5 or i3

I mean see, a MBP with the slow underpower i3 or i5 will be a shame...
    I am waiting for the i7 MBP 17":cool: and hopefully Apple will release it as soon as intel release the new line of processor in September according with digitimes..
    http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20090724PD210.html

20. razor-sex macrumors member

21. DdMac679 macrumors member

DdMac679

I see no reason why you need a new laptop again so soon. I would enjoy your 2008 and wait till next years major updates before upgrading.

22. Vaheb macrumors newbie

I didn't want to start a new thread so i'll just ask here..

Should I get the 13 inch for school now or just wait for the new processors to release..or is that update still going to take a long time?

School starts during the end of september and I don't have a laptop now.

23. Branskins macrumors 65816

Why do I keep hearing conflicting stories about the 13" MBP. I keep reading good things, and then someone comes along and nails it. Is there something truly wrong with it?

I'm looking to get my first MacBook, and I am really interested in the 13" one. It is not a desktop replacement!

24. theJamie macrumors member

I have two friends with 13" and they love them! One just recently converted to mac. The other is a mac fanatic who uses multiple macs.