Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spacemanps

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
New Jersey
Okay so its my birthday soon... turning 24... and i have honestly run out of things that i want for my birthday...

I have been thinking of all the things that i would have bought:

*DSLR camera (got impatient and bought my self a Canon DSLR XS)
*Computer (just bought a MBP about 6 months ago when i worked for them)
*Bike (just got a Giant TCR c3, needed to get my butt in shape)
*Gaming system ( just got an old school gamecube!!! for SSBM! love it, was debating a xbox 360, but i dont really play many games.. and i sorta think its going to be out dated soon)
*Games for game cube ( i have already requested matio tennis and Mario strikers, which both are amazing games)
*TV (have a 42 LG HDTV and a 5-foot projection screen)

ANY ONE WITH ANY GOOD IDEAS?!!?!?!?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
How much money can you spend? In theory, it sounds like at 24 you've got everything you could want. What about a trip with the person buying?

spacemanps

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
New Jersey
more like suggestions on what i should ask for... personally i dont need anything, but my girlfriend wont let that happen... i told her, just take me out for a nice dinner and ill be happy... but thats not good enough..

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
more like suggestions on what i should ask for... personally i dont need anything, but my girlfriend wont let that happen... i told her, just take me out for a nice dinner and ill be happy... but thats not good enough..

My GF is the same way!
I just tell her all I want is a nice dinner at home, and she wont accept it!
And I really mean it too...
Anyways...
Why is she so hung up on getting you material objects?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland

Let her surprise you, give her free hands. Birthday feels nothing if you already know what you're getting plus you have no ideas

spacemanps

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
New Jersey
My GF is the same way!
Anyways...

Atleast you understand....

and as far as her being so hung up on material objects... i dunno.. she likes the concept of me revieving a gift. And her parents have always made sure that she has had something to open on her bday since she was little.. i dunno how else to explain her.. and i explain to her that all i want is a nice dinner (i value good food very highly) and she wants to take me for a nice dinner and buy me a gift. Shes a good girl what can i say..

and she knows that im going to go all out on her b-day... so i guess shes tryin..

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
Atleast you understand....

and as far as her being so hung up on material objects... i dunno.. she likes the concept of me revieving a gift. And her parents have always made sure that she has had something to open on her bday since she was little.. i dunno how else to explain her.. and i explain to her that all i want is a nice dinner (i value good food very highly) and she wants to take me for a nice dinner and buy me a gift. Shes a good girl what can i say..

No doubt. She sounds great.
Maybe some baseball tickets or sports tickets in general?
Thats material, and you can share an experience.

spacemanps

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
New Jersey
Let her surprise you, give her free hands. Birthday feels nothing if you already know what you're getting plus you have no ideas

The problem is that i buy myself whatever i want when i want it ( i mean i dont want or need many thing but when i do, i get it my self.) and she has run out of idea on what i want or need..

No doubt. She sounds great.
Maybe some baseball tickets or sports tickets in general?
Thats material, and you can share an experience.

we both dont like sports much... but i was maybe thinking sky diving, but she would **** her self, she wont even jump off mountian creek cliff jump! i cant even imagine presenting jumping out of a plane..

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Haha. I have pretty much the opposite problem. Your "I have this already" list looks like my wish list. And since pretty much everything on my wish list is over $500, my wife had a hard time finding me something for my birthday. She and her parents went in together and bought Rock Band 2, so I guess it turned out okay. :)

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
The problem is that i buy myself whatever i want when i want it ( i mean i dont want or need many thing but when i do, i get it my self.) and she has run out of idea on what i want or need..

How about a gift card or something like a box of good quality chocolate? I think the idea is more important the actual gift. Tell her that price or size of the gift doesn't really matter

spacemanps

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
New Jersey
Haha. I have pretty much the opposite problem. Your "I have this already" list looks like my wish list. And since pretty much everything on my wish list is over $500, my wife had a hard time finding me something for my birthday. She and her parents went in together and bought Rock Band 2, so I guess it turned out okay. :)

hey, ur ahead of me! atleast you have an xbox... was debating asking for an xbox but the only reason i would want it is because of Call of duty 1 and 2, but the question is, is buying an xbox worth playing 2 games?

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
There are a lot of great games for the XBox 360. But I have to say that there are a lot of other features that make it a great deal (for me at least). The 2 big ones I use (aside from playing games) are

DVD Player (Upconverting to HD when used with HDMI or VGA)
Media Center/Extender - Can stream media from Mac (requires connect 360) & PC (using WMP or Windows Media Center)

Also, the 360 Arcade is only $200, so it's not even that expensive (though it doesn't come with the HD-AV cables, or a Hard drive).

If you have a Netflix account and XBL Gold (and you're in the US), you can stream HD movies to your 360.

If any of that interests you, maybe you should consider a 360.

blinkie

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2007
If you already have everything you want and people still want to spend their money on you then ask them to donate it to a charity of your choice. Everyone's a winner. :D

spacemanps

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
New Jersey
If you already have everything you want and people still want to spend their money on you then ask them to donate it to a charity of your choice. Everyone's a winner. :D

thats a good idea, but i already volunteer as a firefighter and donte to the MS society, and am biking in their Bike MS event, which is a 20, 50, or 100 mile bike ride to generate donations for MS research..

dasmb

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
As the proud owner of a DSLR, you've got lots of great options at all price ranges. On the low end -- get a circular polarizer for your favorite wide lens, or a nice gear bag. On the high end -- get yourself one of the following must-have lenses:
- The Canon 60 mm Macro (for close ups such as photographing flowers, insects, or eBay items)
- The Sigma 30mm f/1.4 prime (for great depth of field effects, low light photography and "as the eye sees it" photos). If you shoot more portraits, you could get the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 prime, but this lens is the size of a small truck.
- The Canon 24-105mm F/4L (the best walkabout lens)
- The Canon 75-200mm F/4L (a versatile long lens)
- The Sigma 10-20mm F/3.5 (a great wide angle lens)

In the middle of the road, you could get:
- A Speedlite (the 4X0 series) for improved strobe effects
- A quality tripod with a ball mount. A quality tripod is easy to spot -- if you put the camera on the legs extended half way, and the camera wiggles when you touch it, it's a ***** tripod.
- A Lensbaby (for the fun of it holmes)

And of course a gift certificate to your local print shop is a valuable thing...once you've seen your work reproduced on a Chromira or Frontier you will scoff at inkjet for life.

How about a nice set of Ortlieb waterproof paniers for your bike (last a billion years and can easily hold an 18lb bag of charcoal)?

A great pair of headphones (Grado SR series, Bose noise cancellers or Etymotics)?

What about a nice, comfortable chair?

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
My GF is the same way!
Anyways...
Because they want really nice gifts on their birthdays. So they need you to get something nice to justify wanting something extravagant.:p

How about a nice watch? Assuming you get dressed up occasionally.

Or ask for a decent suit. If you don't have one they are useful for weddings and funerals.

A nice leather jacket.

If there are not any gadgets you are looking for she might be thrilled to go shopping with you on your birthday for something dressy. Though I suppose some girls don't like finding formal clothes or accessories for their men. I can not think of one I know that would not be.

spacemanps

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
New Jersey
the sigma 10-20 would be a nice addition to my camera!!! thanks for that!!! right now all i have it the kit lense... how much do you think that sigma wde angle be? i dont want her spending a redic amount of money. But i know if its not within a certain price range (a range which is unknown to me) she will keep asking me what else i want

ps already have the QC3's and many ipods

i just looked at the sigma 10-20.. i feel bad making her spend that much... are there any cheaper brand lenses that are good wide angle?

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
How about something that doesn't involve buying more stuff? (I know you say your gf won't accept that, but just try insisting).

It was my birthday recently, and I decided I didn't want my family to buy me anything (I did accept something from my daughters - they gave me a dollar, a peppermint patty and two chocolate kisses).

Instead my wife and I decided to declutterfy our lives and donated about $2000 worth of stuff to Goodwill and the Salvation Army.

spacemanps

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
New Jersey
yeah, ive tried that... u dont know who you dealing with... shes an interesting person.. ha

(if she ever read this... that would be a funny time)

thleeal

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2009
house?
car?
boat?

hahah, tell her u want her to make u summat instead of buy u summat, and it must be totally from her.

that will boggle her, haha, just kiddin mate, my gf is really creative example, last year she made me a little book full of the reasons why she loves me, (yes im that good) with sex voutchers in the back, kinky sex, heheh thats was a good few months, i used some spelling errors to get some do-vers too haha
good times, good times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.