Birthday in Bangkok, what to do?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by xUKHCx, May 18, 2007.

1. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I'm going on a month long holiday in September to Malaysia and Thailand and will be in Bangkok for my 23rd birthday was wondering if anyone here knew of something really fun to do for a birthday treat. Also any other tips for Thailand and Malaysia would be great. I am up for anything, so al suggestions welcome.

My birthday is on the 16th of September in case there is anything special happening then (apart from my birthday of course)

Rich

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Massage....or more?

Um.....go buy some dodgy t-shirts or something. Oh, there are some fantastic restaurants as well. I had a 10 course meal at a really nice French restaurant, and it only cost around £13 or so.

3. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

in the evening, the Oriental Hotel has a small restaurant on a boat (converted rice barge) that goes from the hotel's dock up and down the Chao Phraya river past many of the major sites (Grand Palace, Wat Phra, Wat Pho, Wat Arun, etc) which are all gloriously illuminated. They serve great traditional Thai food on the boat.

I was skeptical and had to be convinced to go.......glad I was though, it turned out to be a wonderfully unique experience

4. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

You can get anything you want in Bangkok. There is a great deal of AIDS there - be careful. Thai Sticks and Opium Dens should be **cough** avoided.

5. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I spent about ten days in Southeast Asia about a year ago...spent three days in Singapore, three in Cambodia, and three in Kuala Lumpur. Best ten days of my life.

We had a choice of going anywhere between Singapore and KL, but we decided Cambodia over Thailand and the rest of Indochina because it was the most exotic and the temples were amazing. Here is a GREAT tour guide company for Indochina. It's more than the average tour guide. I still correspond to mine via e-mail!

As for KL, I would definitely go to the Batu Caves... it's less than an hour outside KL. The KL Tower is a must-see, but the Petronas Towers are not worth going up...they will only take you half-way up (44th floor).

We had an extra day in KL and the hotel staff told us to visit some sort of national park 4 hours outside KL, but we didn't have the time. It sounds like you might, though. I'll try and find some info on it if I can. I believe KL also has a great zoo worth seeing. Oh, and I'd make a visit to the National Mosque or the Palace. There's also an Islamic Art Museum that sounded really interesting, but my dad didn't want to go.

You can also get a cheap flight from KL to Singapore... it's only about a forty minute flight. I can also tell you tons of places to see there.

And if you're looking for hotels, I recommend the Shangri-La in Kuala Lumpur. I also have many more hotel recommendations.

6. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Do watch out for the religious police though,
    one of my friends just got back from her honeymoon in Malaysia and she said they kept being bothered by religious police checking to make sure they were married and did not do too much public displays. :mad:

In thailand the travel advisory is some risk to high risk with tourist warned to watch local media closely...

7. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

8. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

My experiences in Thailand in the latter half of the 1980's do not lend themselves to discussion in polite company.

From my best recollection, anything that you may desire is available...for a price, anyway.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You're talking about public displays of affection, right? The "religious police" seems a bit much, but if the custom is to not show intimacy and romantic moments in public, then yes, just respect their culture and don't do it, whether it makes any sense to you or not. Your way isn't always "right."

10. yetieater macrumors regular

11. xUKHCx thread starter Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Should've mentioned that this is for myself, my gf of (4.5 years) and our best mates to do. Although I did expect some of the posts above.

Doesn't have to be a restaurant or nightclub but they may well be a part of the evening.

12. kristiano macrumors regular

If you want to know where to go in Singapore, feel free to ask. :)

Wikitravel is a good source of info.