Birthday Notifications in iOS8?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by mdwsta4, Nov 17, 2014.

1. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

Is there a way not to display calendar events other than birthdays in notification center in iOS8?

I could have swore in iOS7 birthdays would appear, but in iOS8 they don't. Even when my calendar clearly has a birthday listed on that day, notification center shows nothing.

It would be nice to see birthdays in notification center as I have them added to my contacts for a reason.

Any help?

2. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Mine still appear... maybe theres something in privacy settings?

3. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Mine work. Is that calendar checked in the calendar app to display it?

Open calendars app, tap on Calendars, and make sure Birthdays is checked.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Are you talking about them appearing in the Today section of Notification Center--basically in the Calendar widget there? If so, since iOS 7 all-day events (and birthdays fall into that category) don't appear there. Since iOS 8 though you can use a third-party calendar app that has a widget and supports all-day events, for example Calendars (or Calendar 5) from Readdle.

5. mdwsta4 thread starter macrumors 65816

What privacy settings are you referring to?

All calendars are checked (which includes birthdays).

Today and/or Notifications. In the Today section it lists 'no events' when there is a birthday that day. I may have found a workaround by setting a calendar reminder for every birthday in my calendar which shows up in the Notifications tab, but that's kind of pain since I don't want an alarm to go off, I just want to know when I look at Notification Center.

Looked into Calendar 5 and am not really interested in dropping $6 on an app to display birthdays when iOS used to do it for free. On my personal iPhone I rarely use the calendar for anything other than birthdays.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

As I mentioned, you can use a free app like Calendars (the free version of Calendar 5) which will show full day events in the notification center widget. I believe a number of other (free and paid) apps also have this with their widgets or are expected to shortly. You can even turn on their widget and turn off the regular calendar one and just have that instead.

iOS change this for some reason in iOS 7 and it's still that way in iOS 8 for well over a year now. It's not good, but not really new and not likely changing anytime soon (I guess iOS 9 next year would be the soonest, but hard to say if they will change that or not).

7. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Mine does appear just fine. I see double Today birthday alerts I need to fix it. :apple:

8. Danley macrumors member

Birthday alerts appear on mine. A nice reminder for me to forget them.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

So you are talking about seeing them in the Calendar widget in the Today section of Notification Center (rather than an alert notification for them at 9 AM or something like that in the Notifications section)?

10. crookadile macrumors regular

+1 for Calendars

Like C DM said use Calendars it's free and shows your all day events in the NC.
    That's what I use, I've disabled the stock calendar widget and just use the Calendars widget in the NC. Works perfect. :cool: