iPhone Birthday Notifications iOS 9.1

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by cnick6, Oct 27, 2015.

1. cnick6 macrumors regular

cnick6

Has anyone seen a birthday notification in iOS 9.x ??? I swear iOS 8.x used to work fine but under iOS 9.x I've now missed a few birthdays from my contacts.

Did iOS 9.x change something with regards to birthday notifications?

PS. So I just created a new contact with a birth date of today in 1980. My calendar shows the event in its app but the drop-down "Today" screen shows "No Events" for today.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

All day or birthday events never showed up in the Today view of notification center unfortunately. The best you got was a regular calendar alert for those. You can get another calendar app that has a widget that supports all day (and thus birthday) events to be displayed in the Today section of notification center.

3. cnick6 thread starter macrumors regular

cnick6

That's really lame. What's the point of having a birthday field if the iOS calendar isn't going to alert us!? BTW, I've had iPhone since iPhone 4 days and I'm positive this was working in previous iOS. I swore iOS 8.x worked but it may have been 7.x that I remembered. (It seems like most of my friends have birthday's in October!)

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

It can alert you as a regular calendar alert/notification, as has pretty much always been the case. I was jus saying that it won't show up in the Today section of the Notification Center.

5. cnick6 thread starter macrumors regular

cnick6

What do you mean by "it can..." -- that's my point -- is that it did not do this yesterday. I created a test contact with today's birthday and there's no way to "alert" me from what I can find... i.e. alert as in either a notification (banner/alert box) or even a ringer.

Tell me how to get the calendar to alert me when it's someone's birthday.

6. cnick6 thread starter macrumors regular

cnick6

*SOLVED*

Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars -> Default Alert Times ->

Birthdays

Events

All-Day Events

These settings were all DISABLED by default! Naughty iPhone. Going to file a bug on this with Apple.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

That is what by I meant that you can have notifications about them--basically as regular calendar alerts--but not something that would show up in the Today section (in a widget basically).

8. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I put my contacts birthday info in their contact info screen. I have the Birthday calendar set on so I can see the birthdays in the calendar along with other appointments and I see it's their birthday at the top of the Today notification screen just under today's date. It even tells me how old they are because I included their birth year in the contact info.

I have a default reminder setup for birthdays that will remind me at 9AM on the day of so I can send them a message.

9. Ev0d3vil macrumors 6502

10. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

It was enabled but will show up at 9am instead of all day that I wanted.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well what's enabled is the alert which is notification that appears at an appropriate time. Are you looking for it to be displayed in a widget in notification center or something else?

12. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I get birthday alert on the screen but don't see on the calendar we'd get/today on the NC but the setting there already enabled by default.

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yeah, as mentioned earlier in the thread, all day events like birthdays don't appear in the today section of the Notification Center. You'd need to get another calendar app with a widget that supports all day events to see them there.

14. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

What a total waste!! Thank you.

15. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

Are you talking about this?

image.jpeg

It was also listed yesterday for Tomorrow.

image.jpeg