Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lexical

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2011
Hi guys,

Im a bit concerned about my 15" rMBP. I've noticed it getting hot when watching fullscreen video and catch up tv etc, i check the temps and sometimes the GPU temps are getting up towards 70c. The thing is, the fans are still at a really low speed (2000rpm), if its getting hot shouldn't the fans be coming on to cool it down? Im a bit worried there's a fault somewhere and the fans aren't spinning up to compensate.

I did do an SMC resent after the 10.8.3 update just to ensure everything was working ok. Should i be worried?

Lexical

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2011
Ah - thanks for the information. I just did a little test and booted up HL2 and the fans did start to spin up. Just seems so odd that the laptop by the hinge gets so so hot and yet its not spinning up fans to cool it down. I guess if thats normal then i don't need to worry.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
Ah - thanks for the information. I just did a little test and booted up HL2 and the fans did start to spin up. Just seems so odd that the laptop by the hinge gets so so hot and yet its not spinning up fans to cool it down. I guess if thats normal then i don't need to worry.

And it is normal for temps to go up while watching video. Flash is very resource intensive. Fans will start up when temps get too high. The algorithm is very sound.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.