Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I thought I'd write a simple physics BSD library but have a slight problem. I want to work on it with my Dad but his computer is a 32bit Intel Mac Mini while mine is the 2006 Mac Pro. I need to use GMP which compiles as 64bit (even if I tell it to use a 32bit ABI) on my machine and 32bit on my Dads. We would be working together via SVN which is hosted on my machine. Am I just being stupid with this problem? I thought about trying to build a 64 and 32bit version on my machine and just have Dad compile the 32bit version but that brings in problems with versioning etc.

Plus I'm not quite sure of SVN, I've never used it for working on a project with someone.

Any suggestions?

lazydog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2005
Cramlington, UK
I guess if you are only going to be sharing source code and not libs then everything should be okay. Even though you can put binaries into SVN you'll really only want to put your source code into the repository, not the built libraries. If there are difference between your two Macs that require source code differences then just use #if blocks and setup symbols in Xcode to distinguish which Mac you're running on. Alternatively create branches in your repository for 32bit and 64bit.

b e n

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I guess if you are only going to be sharing source code and not libs then everything should be okay. Even though you can put binaries into SVN you'll really only want to put your source code into the repository, not the built libraries. If there are difference between your two Macs that require source code differences then just use #if blocks and setup symbols in Xcode to distinguish which Mac you're running on. Alternatively create branches in your repository for 32bit and 64bit.

b e n

Thanks for that. I was trying to keep the project file in the repository as well. I guess that is a bad idea. I'll compile it on his machine as well and hope for the best. I guess if I set him to build the i386 version and I just stick to x86_64 then it might actually work quite well.

P.S Never ever try and install Trac on Leopard, I've read just about every tutorial I can find on it and it still does not work. And to add insult to injury it manages to break my other sites as well. Meh, looked like a really good project management tool too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.