Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deano27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2010
UK
Hello , I`m new to the forum and would just like to ask a question . I`m off to the apple store on saturday to buy an Imac :cool:..I was going to get the 21.5 screen but im wondering if whether to get the 27 ? . im looking forward to getting a mac as a few friends have recommended them to me but they are not that clued up with specifications etc ...Any advice would be greatly appreciated ......

Deano ;)

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
What are you doing with the computer? What's your budget?

We need to know more to be able to tell you whether or not you should buy the bigger one.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Well the screen size is personal preference, you'll have to make that call yourself, we can't tell you what you need in that respect, however the 27" is the only one that offers Quad Core processing and a better GPU with more dedicated video memory. If you're into gaming your experience will be better on the 27". You may want to check your local Apple store for stock on the 27", they are currently on backorder at Apple.com.

Deano27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2010
UK
What are you doing with the computer? What's your budget?

We need to know more to be able to tell you whether or not you should buy the bigger one.

The mac is only for home use the budget is up to the 27 really ....I didn`t know if to get the 21.5 and put extra ram in it etc . I will only be using it for just basic everyday computer activity ....

cheers

crut

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2009
The mac is only for home use the budget is up to the 27 really ....I didn`t know if to get the 21.5 and put extra ram in it etc . I will only be using it for just basic everyday computer activity ....

cheers

To be honest, just go to the Apple store and look at them side by side. You'll know which one to get - our advice is pointless :)

(Personally I would go for the 27" - and have done, just waiting for it to be delivered)

ABG

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
United Kingdom

cheers

£1378.00 for the base 27" vs £1225.00 for the top 21.5".
Not much extra to pay so I'd add the extra and go for the 27"

(If its the base 21.5", £969 - vs the base 27", £1378 - I'd stick with the 21.5").

I switch between a 24" iMac (3.06Ghz) and a 27" i7 - I don't find using the smaller screen on the 24" a problem after using the 27" and its a similar res to the 21.5". I'm glad I have the 27" but for me its "nice" not "I couldn't cope with smaller" (if that makes sense).

You'll be happy with either one IMO.

MacOSXCheetah

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2010
i was set on getting the 21.5", but at the last min got the 27" cos the price diff with upped 21.5" and basic 27" isn't much. i thought i'd like the 27" and i do.

its a joy watching HD movies and photo viewing/editing on the 27". u can also work on more windows at the same time.

so, like most ppl hv said here, its just nice to have the 27".

Deano27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2010
UK
27 it is then ..thanks ...It was the £1378 one i was going for not the more expensive one one :)

Deano27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2010
UK
Cheers gents ...Just arrived home with a 27" imac :cool:....Can`t wait to get stuck in later

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.