Bit of an accident with Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CraigB3, Jul 18, 2009.

1. CraigB3 macrumors member

Hi guys

Been a browser here for quite a while, but decided it was time to sign up due to me having a bit of a problem, which im hoping you can help me with.

Basically, my macbook was dropped earlier on whilst the headphones were still connected, and the jack has snapped off in the input of the Macbook.

Seeing as im not really confident it taking my macbook apart.....nor can i afford to wait whilst it gets sent off for repair, i was wondering if anyone could reccomend me a external soundcard? Which im assuming can be connected via usb? Or even some other kind of alternative?

Any help would me much appreciated.

Craig

2. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

Find an authorized Apple repair facility and setup an appointment for them to fix it while you wait.

3. RangerFan104 macrumors newbie

Are you saying that the part of the headphones that you plug into the computer is stuck in the macbook? I am no pro but you could try using a strong magnet to pull it out. That could work

4. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

If the headphone plug is still in the Macbook I would guess that this would take over all sound to that output. It wouldn't matter even if you have a external sound card. It's like any other computer. You can listen to music through the computer speakers but as soon as you plug in your headphones your speakers turn off...

5. jestershinra macrumors regular

Griffin makes a device called the iMic; that ought to suit you.

6. CraigB3 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all of your suggestions guys.

I was going to try the magnet idea, but it's literally the very tip of the headphone jack thats stuck, so it's quite a way inside.

Seeing as a USB soundcard is my only real option at the moment, the imic is looking very tempting. Unless anyone knows of any similar products within the same sort of price bracket?

Thanks again

Craig

7. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

As was said above its possible even with an external sound card your macbook would still output the sound through the headphone jack because it still things headphones are plugged in. If you have an apple store near you i would schedule an appointment and they could probably get it out for you without having to send it off.

8. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

NO! The magnet could damage the HDD!!!!!!! :eek:

9. LTX macrumors regular

LTX

I'm pretty sure you can choose your output device even if you have headphones in. I don't have my Mac at the moment so I can't check.

[​IMG]

10. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

On my macbook when I plug in the headphones the internal speaker option disappears and then when I unplug the headphones it comes back. I guess adding an external sound card would give another separate option that you could pick. But when the headphones are plugged in you cannot choose the internal speakers as the output.

11. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

You do realize that the entire world has a magnetic field. Electric motors utilize a magnetic field. There is an electric motor in the HDD. There is an electric motor in the SuperDrive. The lid on the MacBook has a magnet as well. The MagSafe connector is well, magnetic.

12. SteinMaster macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

I would not use a strong magnet. It may damage/erase your HDD. Take to an authorized dealer to be safe.

13. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

14. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Ok smart a, go and stick a speaker magnet to your HDD and see what happens....

15. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

From the earlier posted link:

The only magnets powerful enough to scrub data from a drive platter are laboratory degaussers or those used by government agencies to wipe bits off media.

16. CraigB3 thread starter macrumors member

Woah, chill out guys. I wasnt going to try the magnet option anyway.

Ive gone for the imic, hopefully that will sort the problem. No music is driving me nuts.

Craig

17. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

My recommendation:

1) get a regular pencil (not mechanical)
    2) break the point off
    3) push the tip hard on a flat surface to flatten the top to the same width as the headphone plug.
    4) apply a VERY small dab of super glue (DO NOT USE GORILLA GLUE OR ANY OTHER FOAMING GLUE!!!) to the tip
    5) hold the pencil against the broken end of the headphone plug, applying pressure without getting glue on the computer.
    6) after holding it for about 5-10 minutes while applying pressure, attempt to pull the plug out by pulling straight out.
    7) enjoy!

Do NOT use a magnet anywhere near your computer. If it doesn't completely crash your computer, it will corrupt some data on your hard drive, even if the computer is off. I watched a friend of mine ruin his hard drive this way.
    Also, you will need a powerful magnet in order to pull out the headphone plug, which can be more damaging still.

18. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I think your recommendation is probably the best way of getting it out.

I don't think the magnet would work, but if you do end up wanting to try it, just pull out your hard drive and move it away from the computer before you try.

19. justaregularjoe macrumors 6502

I have used this method before, twice actually. Once in a desktop PC and once in my brothers iPod. I however, did you a mech. pencil, a 0.5 lead with the lead pushed all the way back so you have a flush surface to contact.

20. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

There is speakers in the Mac too; more magnetism. It is better to be a smart a$$ than a dumb a$$.

21. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

You know MacBooks really aren't that tought to take apart at all, plus there are some tutorials online. I would do that before I waste my time with magnets and mechanical pencils.

22. jamesr242 macrumors member

Agreed. You would probably just mess it up even more with jamming and gluing and what have you.

23. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    You could probably find a tear down guide from ifixit.com and take the computer apart and get it from the inside.

I'm assuming you've tried holding it on its side and letting gravity have a go? And maybe give it a little pat?

The only other thing I could think of would be very long thin tweezers. But I don't know if they make tweezer that long or that thin.

24. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

really small needle-nose pliers could also work

25. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat