Bit of trouble with Expose

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
this computer has recently been... well, it's running 10.4.2. The point is, my F9 key doesn't bring up expose on my laptop. It just brings up the screen dimmer/brightener. And F10 doesn't line up my app windows. I've tried fixing it in the system preferences, but the changes don't seem to stick. Any advice?

St Soichiro

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2004
Tulsa, OK
Shacklebolt said:
this computer has recently been... well, it's running 10.4.2. The point is, my F9 key doesn't bring up expose on my laptop. It just brings up the screen dimmer/brightener. And F10 doesn't line up my app windows. I've tried fixing it in the system preferences, but the changes don't seem to stick. Any advice?
Just to understand this correctly: Under System Preferences you have the "Use the F1-F12 keys to control software features" checked in the Keyboard and Mouse pane? It keeps changing back?

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
Shacklebolt said:
Have you tried activating the hot corners and seeing if that works?

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
What about if you hold down your Fn key and press F9.

Even if your sys prefs dont stick that'll work i guess.

cardiac dave

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2005
iToronto
neocell said:
Have you tried activating the hot corners and seeing if that works?
Another vote for hotcorners - my personal preference too.
Top-right: expose
Bottom-right: Widgets
Bottom left: Screen saver

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
cardiac dave said:
Same here...only thing is, Exposé does more than one thing. So for me, it's:

Top left: Application windows
Top right: All windows
Bottom left: Widgets
Bottom right: Desktop

I never really knew what to do with the bottom left corner, until Dashboard came along....

One problem, though, is that some games don't turn off hot corners, so I have to do that manually, which is a pain. Is there any way of automating that process, and assigning it to a function key or something? I was hoping Automator would do the trick, but it's more limited than I was expecting, and can't see any preferences at all.

--Eric

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
cardiac dave said:
I use

Top-Left : Dashboard
Top-Right: Desktop (so i can click the hard drive icon when the windows go away :))
Bottom-right: Application windows
Bottom left: All windows (like windows start button... kinda... :p)